• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
calvinhorse

Service "how 2"

calvinhorse

im going to service my phase 2 Mi on the weekend and plan todo it regulary, so does anyone have a how 2 to make my life easyer?

including-oil filter, oil water, fuel filter and anything else you think is important?

thanks for lookin

Jer309GTi

You still after a 'how to' for servicing? Just noticed this post but off to bed in a sec. Let me know if you still need one and I'll write one up tomorrow evening :)

calvinhorse

yes please mate! weathers been s*ite for last few days so not got round to it! thanks buddy!

Jer309GTi

I usually service my cars every 6 months. Every year (same time as MOT personally) do a full service, and then a small service in between. Everyone has got their own idea of what to do, and hopefully add their opinions to my guide and then we could have a good informative service guide :)

Small service

Change oil and filter

Check all levels

Oil door/bonnet/boot/fuel flap hinges

Check tyre pressures and tread for wear/uneven wear

Check over suspension components for wear

Check brakes for leaks/wear

Oil and filter Make sure the engine is slightly warm before you drain the oil, not too hot as the oil will scald you (it hurts, lots). This helps the oil drain out the engine better, and more quickly as it is runnier. Put a nice big bowl under sump, undo plug, and move hand quickly away from the stream of oil. (I find it wise to wear latex gloves as I have crap skin thats allergic to oil, but each to their own). Once the oil has stopped running out, fit a new washer to the sump plug and refit it, then take off the oil filter. It could be very tight, an oil filter wrench from Halfords or equivalent is useful. Put a thin smear of clean oil on the new filter gasket and threads of filter and screw on. Clear up any oil that has found its way onto the sump/block/your garage floor. Fill engine back up with new oil (around 5.2Ltrs iirc). Start engine, making sure oil light goes out after a short while. (there may be some tapping from the top end for a few secs, perfectly normal as the pressure builds up). When the light has gone out, turn the engine off and check the oil. Add more if necessary

Check all levels Power steering fluid, washer fluid, brake fluid, coolant (check antifreeze content if you have a tool that does this). All reserviors should have maximum marks. Power steering may have 'maximum when hot' level, but fluids are pretty self explanatory

Oil door hinges etc. A few drops of engine oil/squirt of spray grease etc will work wonders for your hinges and check straps

Tyres Tyre pressures should be on a little sticker on the drivers door where the catch is or on the B pillar. Check you don't have uneven wear on your tyres. This could be caused by incorrect tracking, or suspension wear

Suspension wear I could go on forever with this subject, there is lots to check. Basically jack the car up and have a good shake of the wheels and to check for play and spin the wheels to check for noisy wheel bearings. Might be worth doing a seperate section after I've finished this guide

Brakes Visually inspect brake discs and pads for wear, and check over the flexi pipes for perishing and the brake lines for corrosion

Full service

All the above plus:

Air filter replacement

Gearbox oil level check

Fuel filter replacement (some people do this every couple of years, but they are so cheap I do it every full service)

Spark plug replacement

Air filter I'm not familiar with the air filter setup on the phase 2 as I only have a phase 1, so hopefully someone will reply with a guide to changing it

Gearbox oil The oil level plug is on the end of the gearbox casing, about 1/2 way up. Pull the wheel arch liner out the way if you have one, and turn the steering full left hand lock. This will give you access to the plug. The car needs to be level so don't jack it up. Unscrew the plug, and if no oil comes out, top it up with gear oil until it just starts coming out of the hole. Clean off any swarf on the plug, and refit.

Fuel filter Same as air filter, not familiar with the phase 2 model. On the phase 1 it is mounted under the car, forward of the spare wheel, hidden by a plastic undertray

Spark plugs Again, the phase 2 uses coil packs and I'm not too sure how these are removed so hopefully someone will reply with the correct method

There are other maintenance bits and bobs you should carry out every couple of years or so. These include changing the brake fluid, changing the coolant, changing the gearbox oil etc. Personally I would change these fluids every two years. Then of course there is cambelt replacement, which I personally do around every two years for peace of mind.

As for fluids;

Engine oil -> Good quality semi-synthetic 10/40 is what I use *prepares for mass debate on oil type*

Gearbox oil -> Good quality 75/80 gearbox oil

Power steering fluid -> just your standard power steering fluid

This is by no means an exhaustive guide, it's just what came off the top of my head as I was writing it. So expect a few disagreements and additions :lol:

Hope this is of some help to you, and others :)

Edited by Jer309GTi

calvinhorse

thats spot on mate, thanks very much for your time! top bloke!!

Sign in to follow this