• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnnoMi16

2.0 Temperature Problem

Guest JohnnoMi16

Hi all,

Well I have just found this forum and how awesome it is. But I have a problem with my series 2 Mi16.

I just had the radiator, top & bottom radiator hoses replaced the other day. The guy at the radiator shop said he couldn't get the temp below 90 degrees, and that was when he wold first start the car at cold. He said it would sit around 110 degrees. The thermo fans do work as when I hit the a/c button, I could see both fans spinning.

When I had this problem, I would start the car from cold and the temp guage would go straight up to between 80-90 degrees. I would drive it, the guage would then go up to 110 degrees, the the thermostat would open and the guage wold drop back to a bit below 90. The temp guage then would not go over 92-95 degrees.

Now when I got my car back on Saturday, same thing happeded. Start, showing 90, drove, hit 110, then dropped back to around 90. However, last night, I drove it, the guage went up to 115 and wouldn't drop at all.

This morning, went outside, switched on the ignition to the reds, immediately, guage was showing 80-85 degrees.

The system has been bled of air. What is going on here??? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance,

John

Guest 4lex

hello

Edited by 4lex

pug309twin40s

it sounds like a dodgy water temp gauge sender or gauge fault.

the easiest way to find out if the gauge or sender is at fault is to swap the oil temp wire and water temp connections over so the water temp wire is on the oil temp sender and oil temp wire on the water temp sensor,

that see what happens with the gauges, the oil temp gauge will now be the water temp gauge and see it it moves as normal or plays up, if it plays up then you know that the water temp sensor is at fault.

Also watch the water temp gauge which will now be the oil temp and if that works properly you know the gauge is fine but if it does like before go to 85 when ignition turned on then you know the gauge is at fault.

hope that helps.

Guest JohnnoMi16

Having a look in my Haynes manual, it says that the sensor is screwed into the thermostat housing. I had a look under the bonnet and couldn't see any electrical wires or connections coming from the thermostat housing.

Is it hidden under all the water hoses?

Bonez

yes its right under in a pig of a place to get to!

take out all your induction pipe work as that will make it easyer to get to

the if you look on the water housing on the side of the head you should see a blue connector thats the temp sensor on the underside of the housing

Sign in to follow this