• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Alternator Removal On Mi

Jer309GTi

Is it possible to remove the alternator from an Mi without removing the inlet manifold? Seems very tight to me. Is there a trick to doing it or just keep trying it until it comes out?

Went to run my car upto temperature today before the first drive and when I checked the charging voltage found it was 17v and the battery was starting to bubble over :(

It seems like I'm never going to get the bloody thing on the road :rolleyes:

Guest Arblist

no need to remove the inlet manifold. It is very tight however, if you are due for an oil change, take the oil filter off, and the oil cooler, and that bit of extra room makes it alot easier.

Jer309GTi

Ah right, cheers. I've only just fitted the oil filter as I've just rebuilt the engine. Does it have to be dropped down then does it? Or is there enough room to wiggle it between the inlet mani and ABS unit?

AlexN

I changed mine recently, and it was pretty straight forward to remove through the gap under the inlet manifold, but I have removed the abs pump. If I remember rightly it look pretty tight to get the alternator out with the abs pump in place. I'd recommend giving it a go before you remove the inlet manifold though. Removing the manifold is only a half hour job so no big deal really.

Jer309GTi

I tried loads of times to get the alternator up through between manifold and ABS unit but there wasn't enough room. I ended up taking out the manifold bolts and removing the braces and dipstick tube nut so the manifold could be moved to the right a little, and that gave me enough space to take the alternator out. A lot quicker than having to take the manifold right off (which I had only done last week to replace the starter :angry:)

AlexN

Sounds like you've been having a right laugh over xmas!

PugMi16

Yes there is a trick there should be a screw somewhere under ABS unit, You unscrew it and pull the abs unit upword and you should get more than enough space to pull alternater out! (Used to have the same trouble :) )

Jer309GTi
Yes there is a trick there should be a screw somewhere under ABS unit, You unscrew it and pull the abs unit upword and you should get more than enough space to pull alternater out! (Used to have the same trouble :) )

Is this screw on both types of ABS unit? (Bosch and Bendix). I've put the alternator back in already, but I'll take a look for the screw next time I'm under the bonnet :)

PugMi16

Mine is Bendix I'm not sure does the other one have the screw??

Sign in to follow this