• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Bleed Screws Of Abs Unit

Jer309GTi

I fitted new front flexi hoses to the 405 a couple of weeks ago, and bled the brakes out fine, as I always have done. I only noticed the other day that there are a couple of bleed screws on top of the ABS unit. Are you supposed to use these when bleeding the whole system, or are they rarely used? I had a look in my Haynes but it's quite an old one and only covers the Bendix ABS

JeffR

I don't think you have to bleed the abs unit seperately. The internal valves are fully open normally, so conventional bleeding would be fine. IIRC, they are pre-bled.

It might pay to check the operation of the rear calipers too. To be bled correctly, they need to be removed from the hub & hung vertically (so the bleed nipple is at the top)! :angry:

Jer309GTi

Sorry to bring up an old-ish thread, but I just wanted to check I was bleeding the rears properly.

The way I do it is to remove the caliper from the pad housing, jam the piston with a caliper wind-back tool to stop the piston coming out, and then bleed as normal with the bleed nipple pointing upwards.

I've done this loads of times, but can't seem to get the last bit of air out of the rear brakes :angry: (I have changed the master cylinder). Anyone got any tips to try to get this last bit of air out? The service manual recommends bleeding clockwise starting from o/s/r (thanks Welshpug :)), but I still can't shift that last bit of air :(

welshpug

trey reversing the sequence, IIRC thats what Haynes suggest?

Jer309GTi

Ok cheers, I'll try again tomorrow. Not that the bloody car deserves it, the recon alternator has started overcharging the battery again :angry::angry:

Sign in to follow this