• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Oil Gauge In Bottom Right Of Instrument Panel

Jer309GTi

What exactly does this gauge do? I'm pretty sure it checks the oil level when you turn the ignition on, but then what does it do when you try to start the engine?

When I turn the ignition on the gauge goes upto maximum and the oil light is on. When I turn the key to start the engine the oil light goes straight out and the gauge drops down then comes up in about four stages until it is back to maximum. This doesnt seem right to me.

At the moment I have the CPS and coil disconnected as I'm trying to get the oil presure up before I try and start it properly. As the oil light goes out as soon as the key is turned I don't know if the oil is up to pressure or not.

The only thing I can think of is that I have put the wire for the oil pressure sender on the wrong sender on the engine (There are 2 senders and only 1 wire, I guess because the engine was taken out of a 309 with the oil temp/pressure gauges on.

Can anyone help me out here please? :(

Jer309GTi

It seems I have the wire on the correct sensor, the smaller one on the left.

pug309twin40s

that gauge in a 405 is as you say, oil level with ignition on, then once your turn the engine on the gauge switches over to oil temp gauge.

which the oil temp gauge is the one on the sump. check the wire going to the sensor.

405's dont have oil pressure gauges so the 2 sensors on the front of the engine by the engine mount/alternator, the smaller 1 near the mount is the oil pressure warning light and the bigger mushroom shaped 1 is the oil pressure sensor which shouldn't have a wire on it as theres no gauge in the 405's.

so sounds like you have the oil temp wire connected to the oil pressure sensor and not the oil temp sensor in the sump, which is why the gauge goes up in stages as you were turning it over which would act as oil pressure gauge.

pug309twin40s
Grrr wish Pug had fitted a pressure gauge!

yep always baffled me why they never fitted a oil pressure gauge in 405's.

but you can always fit an aftermarket gauge.

cybernck

so you wouldn't get scared of the needle jumping up and down :P.

Jer309GTi
that gauge in a 405 is as you say, oil level with ignition on, then once your turn the engine on the gauge switches over to oil temp gauge.

which the oil temp gauge is the one on the sump. check the wire going to the sensor.

405's dont have oil pressure gauges so the 2 sensors on the front of the engine by the engine mount/alternator, the smaller 1 near the mount is the oil pressure warning light and the bigger mushroom shaped 1 is the oil pressure sensor which shouldn't have a wire on it as theres no gauge in the 405's.

so sounds like you have the oil temp wire connected to the oil pressure sensor and not the oil temp sensor in the sump, which is why the gauge goes up in stages as you were turning it over which would act as oil pressure gauge.

Hmm, I'm sure all the wires are in the right place, as I labelled them all when I took the old engine out. I have the oil warning light connected (smaller one) as it should be, and the sensor in the bottom of the sump is connected back up as it was before. Shall investigate some more....

so you wouldn't get scared of the needle jumping up and down :P.

:lol: ROFL

Sign in to follow this