• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Skeleton

Chassis/shell Differences Between Mi16 & Mi16x4?

Guest Skeleton

Yeh well the tital pretty much sums it up. What are the differences between the FWD Mi16 Chassis/Shell compared to the Mi16x4? Due to Australian government seeing Pugs as Lux cars to protect local manufacturers the 4bies were never sold here :angry: Always wanted one! Also because our country wont allow the import of anything newer than 1989, its currently impossible to get one. Obtaining all the drive train parts from a wrecked 4bie from UK or Newzealand is really the only option. Before I go to crazy on the idea I need to know the engineering obsticles that would be in the way of this ever aging dream.

I ask here and not Aussie frogs is cuz they all stuck up about keeping things stock and the most extreme they go is a ECU n Cams......BORING! All you euro puggers seem to be as mad as I am, eg: twin engine 205s, turbos & mi16x4 205's even! Seems like the better enviroment for this kinda question (not to mention abit more smarts on the matter).

Cheers.

Edited by Skeleton

Guest scottcmb
Yeh well the tital pretty much sums it up. What are the differences between the FWD Mi16 Chassis/Shell compared to the Mi16x4? Due to Australian government seeing Pugs as Lux cars to protect local manufacturers the 4bies were never sold here :angry: Always wanted one! Also because our country wont allow the import of anything newer than 1989, its currently impossible to get one. Obtaining all the drive train parts from a wrecked 4bie from UK or Newzealand is really the only option. Before I go to crazy on the idea I need to know the engineering obsticles that would be in the way of this ever aging dream.

I ask here and not Aussie frogs is cuz they all stuck up about keeping things stock and the most extreme they go is a ECU n Cams......BORING! All you euro puggers seem to be as mad as I am, eg: twin engine 205s, turbos & mi16x4 205's even! Seems like the better enviroment for this kinda question (not to mention abit more smarts on the matter).

Cheers.

just a thought from out of left field. you could come here to New Zealand and buy a Mi16x4 but to get it back to Oz all you have to do is work and live here for at least 12 months ( i think this is true) then after that ship it back to Oz then move back to Oz....then there is some rigmorol you need to go through for registering it i think. check up on it.....the lengths of time might have changed but i think you can still do this!!.......i come from Oz and living here is pretty good....look at it as a working holiday.......i feel very fortunate to be an aussie and currently owning a Mi16x4

Guest Skeleton

Yeh I have thought about doing this, and it could very well be a better option. The amount of work it will take to convert a FWD mi16 to 4bie would definately be over a year project at "MY" casual pace. Plus the cost of a mi16x4 in fair condition is pretty much the cost of a S1 mi16 in crap condition over here.

Actually im seriously going to consider doing this now! How many mi16x4's over there for sale on average?

Guest scottcmb
Actually im seriously going to consider doing this now! How many mi16x4's over there for sale on average?

i know of three x4's for sale at the moment. a silver series 1 that is in reasonable condition but has a blown head gasket the asking price is $1200. A white one that was on NZ trade me about a month ago. and also a badly damaged red one that is currently up for sale for parts. they seem to pop up every two months or so

Guest Skeleton

Yeh I remember seeing the White one on trademe, It looked like a good deal. And they red one i seen the other day, looks like a good parts car!

lendl2

They are very similar probaly,except for added traction and weight. You do not lose anything in handling and tactility with fwd. It makes sense just for the winter. I remeber ams writing that 4wheel drive is very composed until you overstep the limit, but then it hurts( for inexperienced off course I would add)

KRISKARRERA

What about PeterT? How did he get his Mi16x4 over there then?

petert1345402284

It was imported back in the early '90's when our import regulations weren't as strict. Now you can't import a car made after 1 Jan. 1990. So that strikes out lots of nice cars, but it was done mostly to stop grey imports of fast cars from Japan. Our local car industry jumped up and down.

cybernck

here we can't import any cars older that 7 years old so no more 205's or 405's! :(

Sign in to follow this