• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JOHN89MI16

Cutting Out

JOHN89MI16

Can anyone help me with a problem please.

I own a 1990 G reg 405 mi16 and when im driving it keeps cutting out and wont start up straight away.

If i wait 2 minutes and then try, it starts up fine.

Ive noticed that when im driving that my temperature and oil temperature gauges are going crazy like a needle on a compass if i brake or accelerate. Also ive noticed that when i try starting it up right after it cuts out the k light that i think is the engine management light, doesnt come on but if i wait 2 minutes and then turn the ignition on, it comes on and it fires up no problem.

Could this problem be down to the ecu or air flow meter because it cuts out without any warning, it just holds back, losses all power and cuts out 5 seconds later.

Any help would be much appreciated so that i can stop breaking down 4 times a hour and get back to enjoying my pride and joy. :)

KRISKARRERA

ECU is unlikely to be the cause. It almost sounds like a loose connection of some sort.

cybernck

i've had that happen on my Motronic GTI in damp weather in past... several times actually.

each time i had sprayed all the vital connections (including relays etc) with WD40 and it sorted it out.

the problem with gauges will be wires shorting to earh somewhere, or dodgy senders.

Toffer

I had almost exactly the same issue with my 88' Mi16. Independent of engine warm or cold, it simply cut the ignition. I had to wait between 1 to 15 minutes before i could start. The diagnostic lamp/k-lamp was dark in with ignitionswitch at level 2, wich it is not suppose to be. The watertemp and oiltemp gauges went a bit crazy also.

It was the ECU. I checked it for bad spots on the printboards, and cleaned with "electrocleaner". No change.

I measured the tdc-sensor, the ignition module and the coil.

When measuring the tdc-sensor, i got values saying it was faulty, so I renewed it, but still no change. Obviousely it did not work, cause the ECU did not feed it with voltage.

It could be worth trying to swap the ECU, that's my opinion.

JOHN89MI16

I managed to swap it with a spare ecu i had lying around and the problem seems better because it doesnt cut out as much now but its still cutting out in the most awkward of places. It seems to only do it when the engine is at opperating temperature and after ive been giving it loads of greaf like today when i was racing a nissan 200 sx (not sure if it was turbo but i had him beaten big time!) and when i had to dip my clutch to come to a halt at some lights it just cut out. Man was that annoying, i was going to hummiliate him even more. Im going to investigate the wiring loom behind the dash to see if any wires are earthing because i can make the k light come on and off without the car running.

Edited by JOHN89MI16

JOHN89MI16

I think i may have solved this problem so if anyone reads this post and is having a similar problem then i suggest you change your engine management relay which is behind the drivers side front headlamp in a black box. I changed it today on the advice of des developments and it seems to have solved the crazy temp and oil gauges and the persistent cutting out but only time will tell.

I must say des developments are top blokes and have helped me a couple of times with my mi16 so if you ever have any strange problems then i would strongly recommend taking your car to them to fix. Cheers guys. :)

cybernck

well i did tell you to spray everything with WD40 ;).

the ECU relay is what had been bugging me too.

glad to hear you've sorted it out!

Sign in to follow this