• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JOHN89MI16

Strange Brake Pedal Function

JOHN89MI16

I was wondering if anyone has come across a strange problem like ive just encountered on my 'G' reg mi16.

My vehicle has the integral ABS system.

This weekend i was out driving in my mi16 when all of a sudden my brake pedal started clicking really fast like it was trying to use the foot brake itself. <_<

I know it seems mad :blink: but my girlfriend was sitting next to me in the car and she could hear it 2.

I could understand if i was using the brakes at the time but i only had my foot on the accelerator. When i did decide to use the brakes the car swerved diagonally. I finally managed to limp home slowly so not to risk damaging my pride and joy but even at slow speeds the brakes only wanted to work when they could be bothered because when i wanted to come to a full stop the brakes would work great then release themselves fully then brake again and that was at less than 5 mph.

Today i checked the brake fluid level and took it out for a drive again and the problem was totally gone until just before i got on the motorway and i had to swerve to avoid joining due to it coming back again.

Please someone help me with this problem because its took me over 4 months of blood, sweat and tears to get this car roadworthy again. Thanks

AlexN

The integral ABS system is notorious for fu*king up. I had no end of trouble with my brakes including the brake pedal only working when it felt like it and the pump staying on continuously even with the ingnition off! This was the last straw so I changed the braking system to the standard master cylinder set up (a 22mm standard 405 master cylinder and vacuum servo). Loads of people with the integral ABS system have performed this conversion as the system is so unreliable and has no back-up in case of pump failure! The brakes felt so much better after the conversion, if you get hold of the hardware you can do the conversion in an afternoon and you won't regret it!

Sign in to follow this