• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexN

Mi16 Tyres

AlexN

I have heard good things about the Goodyear GS-D3's but I am struggling to find a dealer that sticks 195/55/15's. There are quite a number that do 195/50/15's. What difference will fitting a 195/50 make to the car, is it possible or advisable to run this size tyre on the car? Any advice gladly accepted.

Rippthrough
I have heard good things about the Goodyear GS-D3's but I am struggling to find a dealer that sticks 195/55/15's.  There are quite a number that do 195/50/15's.  What difference will fitting a 195/50 make to the car, is it possible or advisable to run this size tyre on the car? Any advice gladly accepted.

Should be no problems, that's the size I'm running on mine, as are many others. Speedo will read a tiny bit faster than it should.

AlexN

Excellent thanks for the advice, i'll go an buy myself a set now!

AndyB1345402284

how do they run Alex? I am needing to get 4 new tyres for my 2ltr MI and have no idea which to go for. Are the GSD3s the way to go or is there any others that people would recommend? currently am using pirelli P6000 195/55 R15 84V(were on the car when i got it).

Andy

KRISKARRERA

General opinion over on 205 drivers forum is that P6000s aren't up to much, I once had them and I expected better from a make like Pirelli.

Sloppy

In my experience p6000's are ok and hard wearing but in the wet they are known as ditch finders ! especially on the 306gti6 forum as they were fitted as stock on gti's.

I have always run 195/50/15's on my 405's and 306 where i have had 15" wheels fitted, (both are suppoosed to have 55's) best ive used are goodyear eagle f1 gsd3's and toyo proxies T1's.

The proxies grip harder but dont last long, BUT only cost £31 a tyre which is a fooking bargain!

Goodyears also dont last that long are are usual;ly around £35

I have also used pirelli p5000's (dragos) and they were good but not as good in the wet (better than 6000's) and also had a fair amount of road noise.

I would go for the gsd3's or the T1's, both in 50 form.

I found 50's to have less wall movement making it handle better and feel more planted just lose a little compfort but i would definately say its worth the gain. :)

Edited by Sloppy

AndyB1345402284

thanks guys. will prob go for the gsd3's then. oh and happy b-day

Andy

Bonez

hang on!

i have some firestone firehawk's on my Mi in 195/50/15's and my god they are ace!!! they have got rid of almost every little bit of understeer even in the wet they just grip sh!t loads!

and best part about them? 2 for £70 here :D :D

i would seriously think about getting some mate

and that goes for all of you!

AlexN

The Goodyear's are great value from mytyres, £35 a tyre (obviously fitting on top of that). The grip in the wet is as good as in the dry, and that is phenomenal! I would highly, highly recommend them to anyone, I couldn't think of a better tyre to put on the car.

Sloppy
hang on!

i have some firestone firehawk's on my Mi in 195/50/15's and my god they are ace!!! they have got rid of almost every little bit of understeer even in the wet they just grip sh!t loads!

i ahd some of these on my old 405 in 14", i like the grip etc but they wore like crap and really did not last long, i have never bought them since :(

Bonez
hang on!

i ahd some of these on my old 405 in 14", i like the grip etc but they wore like crap and really did not last long, i have never bought them since :(

had a set on my cab and they never worn bad in the 3 years they were on!

my bro has a set on his GTi and 2 are 3 years old the other 2 are 5 years old! still have tread and good grip as he went round combe twice with them on ok lol

AndyB1345402284

Well got 4 fitted yesterday and went for a spin in the rain. The grip is just superb on them. nice to finally be able to take a corner without feeling like the backend was about to go. Ride quality not any less. Managed to get them fitted for less than 50 a tyre so not too expensive too. Thanks for the advice.

Andy

cybernck

and it takes a few miles before new tyres start to really perform too :).

AlexN

One of my eagles has developed a couple of cracks in the side wall, i'm going to phone the company that fitted them and get them to replace it. The tyres have done less than 500 miles since I got them fitted :(

petert1345402284

I didn't think 195/50/15 had enough load rating to carry a 405?

Jer309GTi
I didn't think 195/50/15 had enough load rating to carry a 405?

Yeah, I thought this too... Can definately vouch for the quality of the F1's though, had them on my old 309 GTi and they were brilliant :)

lendl2

Can I fit 205/55 R16 to the standard height Mi16 1.9. I know for speedometer changes, but does it contact metal while cornering.

thank you in advance

Guest badboyracer3500
Can I fit 205/55 R16 to the standard height Mi16 1.9. I know for speedometer changes, but does it contact metal while cornering.

thank you in advance

normally when you go up a wheel size you go down a tyre size. that way it keeps the overall diameter of the wheel the same therefore not altering the speedo.

at the moment i'm running 215/40 17s.

Gavin.

Bozi

In my opinion, 195/50/15 looks a bit funny on a 405 because of it's small size.. I'd go for 195/55 or at least 205/50/15 for the looks. Though 195/50 might give a bit more precise driveability.

I can also recommend toyo t1r's, they don't seem to wear too much and the grip is awesome :o They are also advertised as more resistant to wear as the old t1s ones. My old tires were michelin pilot exalto 215/40/16, swapped for 225/45/16 t1r. The wheelspin at turbo kick stopped once and for all. Also noise level dropped.. Though they are not as steady to drive as the michelins, but the grip is truly something else :)

edit: The 205/55/16 for 405 will be tricky.. I tried my fathers rims with such tires, and they scraped at the rear at every small bump. I think in front there was plenty of room for even bigger ones (even as my car is lowered about 80mm). Though I had to remove some metal from the rear arches to fit those 225/45/16's also, haven't tried the 55's since. Maybe they'll fit, but don't count on it :unsure:

Edited by Bozi

Sign in to follow this