• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Aircon

Jer309GTi

I've nearly finished getting the old engine out of my 405, but I just need to get the aircon compressor off.

Obviously the pipes are filled with nasty refrigerant crap so I don't really want to undo the pipes and have all that stuff go over me.

Is there anyway the system can be discharged at home, or is it ok to put some gloves on and just slacken off the unions?

Cheers

Ryan

Put some thick gloves on and goggles, and slacken the pipes. When it starts hissing leave it to dissipate slowly to avoid the risk of it spraying all over you.

The refrigerant isn't toxic as such unless it comes into contact with a naked flame, but it can cause frost burns if it gets on bare skin.

KRISKARRERA

I take it the air conditioning doesn't work right?

Jer309GTi

No the aircon doesnt work, but I'm planning to get it going in the future. Cheers for the advice Ryan :)

KRISKARRERA

Well why not just unbolt it from the sump and hold the compressor up with a length of rope tied to the slam panel? That's what I did when I had to get my sump off 3 times! (Incidentally it bloody infuriated me when I had a garage take my sump off and the bonehead left the compressor dangling there!)

Ryan

TBH if the A/C doesn't work I'm willing to bet it's because there is hardly any gas in it anyway.

Jer309GTi
Well why not just unbolt it from the sump and hold the compressor up with a length of rope tied to the slam panel? That's what I did when I had to get my sump off 3 times! (Incidentally it bloody infuriated me when I had a garage take my sump off and the bonehead left the compressor dangling there!)

I did think of that, but I'm going to be lowering the engine to the floor and jacking the car over it so it would get in the way. Could probably do it with the compressor in situ, but would be a lot easier with it removed.

Some people have no idea! Its like when people change brake pads/discs and just leave the caliper dangling by the brake hose, not good :rolleyes:

Jer309GTi
TBH if the A/C doesn't work I'm willing to bet it's because there is hardly any gas in it anyway.

Thats what I'm hoping :)

Sign in to follow this