• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JOHN89MI16

Abs Brake Fluid Bleeding

JOHN89MI16

I have recently bought a 1989 405 mi16 with the intention of making it roadworthy once again due to the fact it had no MOT. After takin it 4 a MOT ive been told it needs a complete brake pipe over haul including the flexy hoses. Normally this wouldnt be a problem 4 me because ive done this loads of times before but this time it seems im not going to be able to bleed it due to the fact it has a bendix integral ABS system. Haynes say that it can only be blead by main dealer only because of the high pressure of the system. Is there any1 out there who knows how i can get round this stange problem please because im close to tearing my hair out. :(

Jer309GTi

If you have to change all the pipes have you considered junking the ABS and going for normal brakes? Would make life a lot easier, and would get rid of the problematic Bendix system (have a read of this thread here)

JOHN89MI16
If you have to change all the pipes have you considered junking the ABS and going for normal brakes? Would make life a lot easier, and would get rid of the problematic Bendix system (have a read of this thread here)

I have considered ripping it all out and just putting a normal servo and master cylinder in but im itching to get it on the road and i just want to get a MOT as fast and cheap as possible. I guess in going to have to tour round the scrap yards at the weekend to see if i can get the parts to convert it unless some1 has any ideas. Thanks 4 your reply though. :)

Rippthrough

Bled ours just fine.

Bleed through with pedal as normal to get as much air out as possible, then bled through with the ignition on so the pump pushed any air out left inside it.

JOHN89MI16

Thanx 4 the suggestion. I neva thought of bleeding it that way. Im going to give it a go tomorrow. What a load of crap haynes manuals are! :D

Edited by JOHN89MI16

danrogers

I recently had to do the same thing for MOT, changed it as you normally would including goodridge hose's and bled though the pedal and all seemed fine and the abs still works

lemans120

go and get a gunsons pressure bleeder the type that you plug onto the tyre valve to pressurise cost about £20 from halfords shouldn't have any problems then ,but make sure you waggle the proportioning valve when bleeding the backs

Edited by lemans120

JOHN89MI16

Thanx 4 the suggestions guys. Im still in the process of changing all the brake pipes because there are alot more pipes than what i thought there would be. So far ive managed all the rear axle metal brake pipes plus ive changed the 4 rear axle flexy hoses and replaced them with goodridge ones. The only probem so far is that the goodridge hoses didnt fit through the old mounting brackets so its took abit of modifing. Just the front to go!! :lol:

Sign in to follow this