• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexN

Handbrake Problems

AlexN

The offside rear caliper on my Mi16x4 has got a problem with the handbrake mechanism, its locked on continuously. How does the mechanism work and how easy would it be to repair it? If I can't repair it, does anyone know where I can get one second hand, or failing that how much would one be new from Peugeot? Thanks.

Guest Eric Josefsson

Try to "exercise" it, lubricate the shaft alot, and bend the arm, back and forth. It´s also possible to take it apart.

If the spring is too week you can add a strong spring on the wire to help the push back.

AlexN

So it is possible to repair it then, that is good news, I dread to think what a new one would cost if I could even find one! Is it also possible to replace the seals on the cylinder on the caliper? I think the cylinder has developed a leak. Thanks

Rippthrough
So it is possible to repair it then, that is good news, I dread to think what a new one would cost if I could even find one!  Is it also possible to replace the seals on the cylinder on the caliper?  I think the cylinder has developed a leak. Thanks

Cost me £90 a side when I changed mine a few years back. Had to wait a month to get them from Peugeot France.

Jer309GTi

Are the Mi16x4 calipers different to 2WD ones? Cos I thought GSF sold rear calipers?

Guest DesMi16

One of our chaps did his rear 4bie callipers a couple of weeks ago. £62 each from GSF IIR. Only difference is that 4bie callipers haven't got a small lump in the casting that the 2WD have as this gets very close to the driveshaft so he brought 2 2WD ones and ground the lump off. Also, lh calliper is rh on 4bie and visa versa. They are exactly the same as some VW callipers (one of the ones he brough had VW cast into it).

Rippthrough

GSF didn't have any back when I was refurbing them (must be about 5-6 years back now, if not longer)

Guest Arblist

I recently overhauled both my rear calipers. The genuine girling seal kit cost me £20. just find a girling brake dealer, and get them to look it up. In the uk, they keep stock and delivery was less than 24 hrs.

AlexN
I recently overhauled both my rear calipers. The genuine girling seal kit cost me £20. just find a girling brake dealer, and get them to look it up. In the uk, they keep stock and delivery was less than 24 hrs.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, I like the idea of being able to repair the caliper for £20! I'll have a look around and try to find a dealer, it seems a waste to replace the whole caliper when there's nothing much wrong with it.

Sign in to follow this