• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jer309GTi

Abs Problems

Jer309GTi

I've heard a lot of people say that the ABS system is crap on a 405 and prone to failure.

Got a couple of questions...

1) Is there any truth in this?

2) The brakes are really over-servo'd and so I was thinking of fitting non-ABS brake system from an SRi. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? For example different size discs/disc offset etc.

3) Can you do the 307 HDi front brake conversion on a 405 that's proving popular with 205 owners?

Guest franco

Well in Australia, the first batch of series 1 405 had a myriad of problems with the Bendix ABS system. Not too sure about later models, but I think they may have been equiped with Bosch ABS systems which were quite a bit better.

KRISKARRERA

Yes it's true, there are exceptions though. The earlier brakes, up to about 1990 were said to be terribly over servoed and bloody unreliable Even the later Bendix "additional" abs weren't that great. Mine died on an old J plate 405 causing all sorts of hassle at MOT time.

My current 405 had dead ABS so rather than spend the grand or whatever it would've cost to fix it, the previous owner (Miles) simply fitted the regular non-abs system as found on the lesser 405s. But with new master cylinder and brake lines etc it works fine. Best part is there's none of that crap down to the left of the inlet manifold therefore changing alternators and starter motors is a doddle.

Edited by KRISKARRERA

Rippthrough

Bendix ABS early system, when it works it's good. When it breaks, the car doesn't. :P

Don't know about 307's, but I think the discs are a different offset?

Jer309GTi

Thats confirmed it, the ABS is going in the bin! I expect taking that and the aircon off (it's broken) should shed a bit of weight from the old girl too!

One other thing, could someone who has the part number CD check for me if a 309 GTi master cylinder is the same as a 405 non-ABS one please. I've got a virtually brand new 309 one in the garage.

Thanks

KRISKARRERA

Just checked the parts CD and typically there's more than one listed for both but my guess is "yes"... (famous last words :lol: )

Jer309GTi

Ok, thanks. Is there somewhere that I could download the parts CD, or do you have to buy it fome eBay?

Guest m.i-man

I pulled the clocks out of my mi and found the abs bulb was missing. So like a true gentlemen, I endevoured to put a nice new bulb in..... hey presto it lights up, all the time.... I assume there is a fault with my abs? Although my brakes work fine. :unsure:

Should I have them checked? Or is it ok to carry on using them like this? :(

Edited by m.i-man

Guest m.i-man
Ok, thanks. Is there somewhere that I could download the parts CD, or do you have to buy it fome eBay?

Clicky

Think that is what you are looking for.

KRISKARRERA
So like a true gentlemen, I endevoured to put a nice new bulb in..... hey presto it lights up, all the time.... I assume there is a fault with my abs? Although my brakes work fine. :unsure:

Should I have them checked? Or is it ok to carry on using them like this?  :(

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me. MOT tester said "You're ABS light don't flash on at start up". I took dash apart - yip some git had done that same thing to me.

Guest DesMi16

Early Bendix system is phenomenal when it works. Far better stopping power than the later Bosch system. If you get the servo and master cylinder off the later Bosch system and remove the ABS from that they stop very well with very good pedal feel. One of our chaps did this with his 4bie and it performed excellently while he was ringing it's neck up Prescott Hill Climb last year.

Guest m.i-man
So like a true gentlemen, I endevoured to put a nice new bulb in..... hey presto it lights up, all the time.... I assume there is a fault with my abs? Although my brakes work fine. :unsure:

Should I have them checked? Or is it ok to carry on using them like this?   :(

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me. MOT tester said "You're ABS light don't flash on at start up". I took dash apart - yip some git had done that same thing to me.

Hmmm, I don't have problems for MOT purposes.... but is it something that should be sorted out? Or is it actuall safe to drive?

I suppose the brakes still work, but the ABS doesn't? Or is it much worse than that? Bearing in mind Kris, that my mi16 is diesel. :lol:

KRISKARRERA

Yeah when the abs goes tits up the system just works as normal. Minus abs. So says Haynes. :P

Guest m.i-man
Yeah when the abs goes tits up the system just works as normal. Minus abs. So says Haynes. :P

That's good enough for me. :lol:

Jer309GTi

Clicky

Think that is what you are looking for.

Thats exactly what I was looking for :)

Rippthrough

Unless its the early Bendix 'all singing, all dancing, whoops we forgot the safety aspect' system.

Guest m.i-man

Unless its the early Bendix 'all singing, all dancing, whoops we forgot the safety aspect' system.

:lol:

:o

:blink:

:unsure:

*goes to check*

Jer309GTi

I'm surprised that Bendix were allowed to produce an ABS system without a safety backup. It's not like ABS systems last forever so what did they think would happen when the system developed a fault?

Rippthrough
I'm surprised that Bendix were allowed to produce an ABS system without a safety backup. It's not like ABS systems last forever so what did they think would happen when the system developed a fault?

You'd come back to the dealer and pay £2k to get it fixed? :P

Guest DesMi16

The safety back up is the very large red stop light that still allows you about 3 applications of the brakes between coming on and having none. It's amazing how many people don't stop though when their car tells them too!!

There are a lot of similar systems in place on modern Mercs etc. where they are purely electronically controlled so it can be said that it was way ahead of it's time.

Rippthrough
The safety back up is the very large red stop light that still allows you about 3 applications of the brakes between coming on and having none. It's amazing how many people don't stop though when their car tells them too!!

There are a lot of similar systems in place on modern Mercs etc. where they are purely electronically controlled so it can be said that it was way ahead of it's time.

Yeah, but the wife was driving when ours went, which means a big red 'STOP' light is too technical for her.

AlexN

My 1990 Mi16x4 has just failed its MOT on the brakes, namely the ABS system. It failed becasue the ABS light was not coming on. What could be the cause of this? I recently dismantled a 1992 Mi16x4 and took the whole brake system off it. I was hoping to use these as spares, at least to determine where the problem lies in the system, but to my dismay they are different! Reading some of the posts here about the early Bendix ABS system, is it true that if the ABS unit fails the brakes fail? My brakes still work fine, its just this damn light thats not coming on! Any help you could give me would be very much appreciated as its the only thing it failed on of any significance and I need it back on the road!

Edited by AlexN

Guest m.i-man

Check the bulb for starters? If the bulb is fine, I can't see why it will not be lighting up on turn of the key....

Normally if there's a fault, then the light stays on... unless the bulb is blown. Other than that, I'm not overly sure.

AlexN

Thanks, I guess thats the most logical first step, I'll check that before i start messing around with the rest of the system.

petert1345402284

I removed the Bendix ABS from my second Mi16, replacing it with standard booster/master cylinder. Unfortunately the light stayed on. I could never find the relay as it was up under the dash. I just removed the globe.

The Mi16x4 I now own also has had the Bendix ABS removed. The previous owner also removed the globe.

You're right in saying the Bendix system is not fail safe. Loose the ABS and you loose the lot. Later models with the Bosch system will still have normal brakes if the ABS fails.

Sign in to follow this