• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexN

Xj10 Tb Upgrade

AlexN

The first post!

I own an 1990 Mi16x4 and I want to get some extra performance out of it on a budget. i am already going to swap the original 2 row ECU for the 3 row with the knock sensor. What I want to know is if the tb conversions that were going on a few years ago (using Audi and VW tb's) were sucessful, and what the power gains were like. I'd love to give it a go, but if its a complete waste of time I will save my money for proper tb's. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Alex.

Guest Robley

I could of heard wrong but, can you add a bigger TB than the OME one on a 2.0l Mi lump from some other motor (Audi/VW) :huh:

Or am i seeing thoughs Badgers again :lol:

RobMGti

There are a number that will bolt straight on Robley but in my opinion the best to go for is the Audi V6 TB purley because the original Mi16 throttle switch can be bolted on as it used the same bosch switch. The top butterfly is approx 24mm (sure someone will correct me) so it gives a decent increase. As with all throttlebodies they can be proted to match almost any shape or diameter. Are u handy with a dremel? haha

Also make sure the new butterfly doesnt go so far open it starts to invert :s as that will lead to all kinds of wierdness as found out by people on drivers who found that 75% Throttle delivered more power than 100% throttle. Oh how i chuckled :D

Other ones than can be used:

Golf20v TB

Mk2 Golf 1.8 16v one

Audi 100 Quattro

Citroen XM 8v TB (42mm)

And i would guess pretty much any VAG one as long as its ported and flows more than the standard one.

Hope that helps,

Rob

Guest P Zero

What sort of increases are we talking here?

Edited by P Zero

RobMGti

From all the various posts that have been done on drivers only a couple actually had the engines dynoed back to back. With mixed results. I think the key with them is drivability and how the engine is set back up afterwards. You have to remember that the VAG throttle bodies have a small and large hole and they do not open simultaneously. Therefore when driving in the lower ranges where just the smaller butterfly is working the car may seem less willing to pickup but at the same time will feel smoother as you come on and off the throttle. As you give it some grief the larger throttlebody will suddenly snap open giving you that "woosh" effect at 4k+ plus.

I reckon that without some form of remap and getting rid of the afm etc etc then its only worthwhile considering if you cant afford to go for TB's. Saying that gaining driveability is always a good thing and if its set up correctly (Longmans have done some on the past) then im sure it will be a good upgrade.

If your wanting statistical increases i would be VERY surprised if you got gained even 5bhp or 10ft/lbs of torque even when set up right.

My Hiflow shortened and cut tracts inleft manifold complete with a 68mm throttle body on my old Xu9jA track car only made about that after it was setup. It was alot better to live with day to day though

Rob

cybernck

here's a link to the Audi/VW throttle body conversion:

http://www.205gtidrivers.com/articles.php?data=e2-vagtb

funnily enough, i've been with an Mi16-owning friend this morning

and he's been telling me about his XM throttle body swap (which

apparently doesn't require manifold mods) and he swears his car

is a lot faster now.

he's away for a few days, but i'm sure he'll be happy to say something

on this subject when he comes back and registers on the forum :).

Guest Robley

Are we talking about the 1.9l , 2.0l or both ?? my knowlage of the lumps is limited :)

KRISKARRERA

I think Cybernck is probably refering to the 1.9 litre engine.

Could do with a pic of the 2 litre engine's TB and inlet, never had a gander at one before.

Cybernck, which XM engine did your mate get his throttlebody from?

RobMGti

Yeah that was on the 1.9 afaik. ive got a pic of the 2.0 inlet, ill find it tomorrow when im not codeing php !

Guest piran21

Interesting.... which audi v6 motor specifically? what year/model car?

RobMGti

2.8 V6 off the top of my head. But im fairly sure they did a 2.3/2/6 and a 2.8 V6. Nik might be able to give u the exacts when he reads this.

Guest piran21

I'm guessing you're talking about the 2.8 V6 12-valve from the 1996 A4?

AlexN

I'd also like to know which model Audi you can make use of the original throttle switch, that would make the conversion much simpler.

AlexN

Is this the throttle body in question? Audi World Tech Articles

If so this is an interesting article as it appears that the body can be bored out to give even greater airflow.

RobMGti

Yes to the A4 one afaik and someone else used one from a 2.3 but i would assume thats from the VW range.

RobMGti

And yes that pic is of the one, didnt read all the way down the thread! woops

AlexN

Nice, thanks for the info, now I guess I have to find one to give it a go. I think that might be easier said than done.

cybernck
someone else used one from a 2.3 but i would assume thats from the VW range.

apparently Golf mk2 GTI 16v throttle body is pretty much the same as the Audi V6 one, only minor differences.

RobMGti
someone else used one from a 2.3 but i would assume thats from the VW range.

apparently Golf mk2 GTI 16v throttle body is pretty much the same as the Audi V6 one, only minor differences.

Ah, wonder if it has the 5 pin connector for a straight fit

AlexN
QUOTE(Robley @ Mar 14 2006, 12:51 AM)

ebay

what about this??

I want to find out who the hell that ebay member is - he lives in same town as me!

I bought a center exhaust section for my Mi16x4 from him, I can't remember what his name was though, but he's sound.

As for alternative throttle bodies without the correct throttle position switch, what is the best way to adapt the orignal to fit? I assume you have to adapt the orignal switch to the new body.

Guest m.i-man

I had a twin 42mm webber. It was exactually the same looks and fit wise as the standard mi one. Except, I had to have an 18mm ally plate made to space it from the intake manifold.

I had this done, because it had a delay on the second choke, so the arm that operated this actually hit the intake manifold. All worked lovely after this, and did give me a slight gain, enoguh to pull away from my mates civic vti anyway. :D

RobMGti
I had a twin 42mm webber. It was exactually the same looks and fit wise as the standard mi one. Except, I had to have an 18mm ally plate made to space it from the intake manifold.

I had this done, because it had a delay on the second choke, so the arm that operated this actually hit the intake manifold. All worked lovely after this, and did give me a slight gain, enoguh to pull away from my mates civic vti anyway.  :D

Great stuff and good to know :) Did you do the spacer yourself?

Guest m.i-man

I had this done, because it had a delay on the second choke, so the arm that operated this actually hit the intake manifold. All worked lovely after this, and did give me a slight gain, enoguh to pull away from my mates civic vti anyway.  :D

Great stuff and good to know :) Did you do the spacer yourself?

No, I knew a guy through my ex..... he worked in aircraft builds. So i gave him the tb gasket and told him it needed to be 18mm thick. A few days later he made it, and I gave him a bottle of JD for it in exchange. He did say that for that kind of material and work, it's worth about £70.

The tb and spacer is now on Kitch's BX. :D

Sign in to follow this