• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m@ttc

Jobs To Do Whilst Gearbox Is Out?

m@ttc

hi ive taken the gear box out of the car to change the clutch, and was wondering if there are any other jobs that may be worth while doing whilst its out? id rarther refresh any worn parts now rather than later. thanks.

S@m

Personally, i would replace the input shaft seal/release bearing guide bush - Its all one part and costs about £14. There are a couple of different ones depending on which gearbox you have, available only from peugoet/citroen as far as i know. Only three bolts, nice easy swap.

Sam

Edited by Sam306

EZ Tutty

Check the clutch arm pivot bushes arn't worn and don't have any play in them.... there pretty hardy but worth checking.

m@ttc
be3205clutchreleasefork.jpgare you talking about part number 7 sam? guide bush and shaft seal? thanks for your help.

S@m

Yep, thats the ticket. 210535 is the much more likely suspect but the other one is possible if you have an earlier gearbox. Most dealers will have it in stock and would themselves replace it when the box is out.

Also, as EZ Tutty says above checking the pivot arm bushes is also a good idea, Numbers 3 and 5 in that diagram.

Sam

Edited by Sam306

m@ttc

Check the clutch arm pivot bushes arn't worn and don't have any play in them.... there pretty hardy but worth checking.

nice one

Edited by m@ttc

m@ttc

Yep, thats the ticket. 210535 is the much more likely suspect but the other one is possible if you have an earlier gearbox. Most dealers will have it in stock and would themselves replace it when the box is out.

Also, as EZ Tutty says above checking the pivot arm bushes is also a good idea, Numbers 3 and 5 in that diagram.

Sam

mines a be3 yellow bushes, is part no 210536 what im after then?

S@m

Most likely it will be 210535, can't say 100% percent without gearbox numbers and such, however, most dealers will have it in stock in my experience so if it is wrong then you shouldn't be charged anything. The other one 210517 is much less likely to be a stock item.

Sam

Anthony

Worth checking that the crank seal isn't beginning to leak. You can't see it properly without removing the flywheel, but certainly any oil or dampness behind the flywheel would be reason for me to remove the flywheel to check and if in any doubt, replace..

Whilst the box (and thus driveshafts) are out, it's potentially worth replacing the lower engine mount bush too - if it's original it will almost certainly be perished and allowing the engine to rock around coming on and off throttle.

Oh, and driveshaft oil seals too.

welshpug

Motorfactors do those input shaft seal assemblies, later ones afaik can be used on early boxes, they use sealant instead if gadkets, if your clutch shaft has yellow bushes they must be replaced with yellow as the fork for the bearing is offset differently.

m@ttc

Worth checking that the crank seal isn't beginning to leak. You can't see it properly without removing the flywheel, but certainly any oil or dampness behind the flywheel would be reason for me to remove the flywheel to check and if in any doubt, replace..

Whilst the box (and thus driveshafts) are out, it's potentially worth replacing the lower engine mount bush too - if it's original it will almost certainly be perished and allowing the engine to rock around coming on and off throttle.

Oh, and driveshaft oil seals too.

well i have the flywheel off also. there was some oil/grime build up around the seal and i have wiped it clean and it dont seem to be leaking now, is it worth changing anyway? is it an easy job?

lower engine mounts new as are the drive shaf seals about 100 miles ago, so was hoping not to have to change the drive shaft seals.

chipstick

well i have the flywheel off also. there was some oil/grime build up around the seal and i have wiped it clean and it dont seem to be leaking now, is it worth changing anyway?

Put it this way, if a few months down the line you notice it leaking more, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it now, and having to take the gearbox off again.

While your there..

Anthony

The crank oil seal will only leak when the engine is running, so if you've only just removed the flywheel and wiped the seal clean, it won't have leaked again yet

As Dan says, if you're in any doubt, just replace it as you will kick yourself a few months down the line if it starts leaking properly.

m@ttc

ok then, im gonna order a new seal tomorro. thanks guys

m@ttc

can anybody please confirm this is the right seal please? pt number - 012728, thanks

pug_ham
can anybody please confirm this is the right seal please? pt number - 012728, thanks

Yes, thats the right oe number but get a Payen one from a local motor factors, last one I got was about £10 iirc.

post-71-0-94999700-1345377467_thumb.jpg

To do the input shaft seal you have to take the clutch fork out so you're 75% of the way there for swapping the fork bearings anyway.

g

calvinhorse

I'll second the driveshaft oil seal, mine went and covered the clutch in oil.. Dead gud.

Sign in to follow this