• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Flying205Nutter

Gti6 Engine Problem

Flying205Nutter

Hi, I am having a problem with the gti6 engine in my 205. It runs perfectly in every respect with the exception that is runs very lumpy on part throttle at 2000rpm (driving not static) its much worse when cold but still noticeable when hot. Its almost so bad when cold that I cant drive up an incline at 2000rpm without using full throttle.

Parts I have changed (all from my other vts/6's and are known good parts)

engine! (changed for a different reason but problem existed on the old engine)

ecu

all sensors excluding knock (changing knock now)

injectors and regulator

Lambda probe

New fuel filter

new plugs

coil packs came over with new engine, have tried the old ones with no difference.

The only things left are the fuel pump (although it pumps out petrol fine when pipe removed from fuel rail)

and changing the wiring loom.

For info I am running full grp N engine mounts which obviously make it more noticeable and I have removed the resonator from under the inlet. K&n cone filter, Magnex decat pipe with lambda probe (tested and working fine at MOT) and full magnex exhaust.

Any help would be appreciated.

boldy205

This sounds like something in the electrical/fueling on the 'car' side of things then, as you say you have changed the engine, and the problem persists?

Matt

chipstick

What did you bloke the resonator hole with?

Did you take the complete inlet over with fuel rail and injectors and swal or leave the one on that came with the replacement engine?

mikeygulley

I had a similar problem with my motor and after changing many things I finally changed the fuel pump! Which cured it. Even though the old one was pumping it wasn't doing the job properly.

But I haven't removed the resonator so as chipstick asks, how did you block the hole?

Flying205Nutter

Thanks for the reply's,

I started using the old inlet complete but have now swapped everything over bar the inlet itself, so throtle body complete and fuel rail inc injectors.

Resonator if blocked off properly, I cut the plug off the resonator and plated over the back of it will a small piece of stainless steel, But I take it you think an air leak in the inlet causing the problem? I will look into this.

Is there any way of testing a fuel pump? where is the best place to get one from?

kyepan

does sound like an air leak, can you hear any obvious fush fush sounds when it's idling?

Flying205Nutter

does sound like an air leak, can you hear any obvious fush fush sounds when it's idling?

No, it all sounds and runs fine except at 2000rpm, idles as it should, pulls perfeclyt from 600 - 1800 and 2200 - 7000

Flying205Nutter

I have checked for air leaks and found none, I have driven the car with the servo pipe disconnected and that made no difference to the problem. Here is a video of it running. The microphone on the phone makes it sound really tappety.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro3jcwcwmve0kw6/2012-08-17%2014.11.29.mp4

If it supposed to hunt with the vacuum pipe disconnected?

CosKev

Yeah it will hunt with that pipe off,you are bypassing the idle control valve.

I've got exactly the same problem as you with my 306 Rallye,very similar mods too.(modified airbox,sports cat,Scorpion exhaust)

Hoping its not down to removing the resonator,as I had the hole welded up!!!!:(

Flying205Nutter

Yeah it will hunt with that pipe off,you are bypassing the idle control valve.

I've got exactly the same problem as you with my 306 Rallye,very similar mods too.(modified airbox,sports cat,Scorpion exhaust)

Hoping its not down to removing the resonator,as I had the hole welded up!!!! :(

I was expecting it to rev up to say 2000 rpm not hunt up and down.

I am please to find someone else with the problem as its very annoying.

So job for today refit my resonator. I cant see it making a difference but I have tried almost everything else.....

• Like 1

Flying205Nutter

Right the resonator has been on and is back off again. Made no difference. Giving up now unless someone can suggest something else? If I find a new 306/xsara loom I will swap that over and see if the problem is in the wiring.

CosKev

Right the resonator has been on and is back off again. Made no difference. Giving up now unless someone can suggest something else? If I find a new 306/xsara loom I will swap that over and see if the problem is in the wiring.

Glad the res did not sort it!!!

It is annying this prob,but mine is barely noticeable once upto normal temp.

But is pretty bad when cold.

cheesegrater

Mine does this. I put it down to something related to coldstart. Doesn't do it when its warm.

Flying205Nutter

Mine does this. I put it down to something related to coldstart. Doesn't do it when its warm.

I cant believe a mass produced engine should run this badly when cold? I have never had a car that does this even on carbs so with modern ecu management its should be silky smooth. Also all three of my vts's and my xsi don't do it proving its not normal.

Spiky

car should be smooth, hot or cold

mine was fine when it was std, with ITBs and now with Supercharger, starts and idle's perfect

they is something up with anyone's that doesn't

are you running PAS? try unplgging that

isc could be faulty and allowing air in?

Toddy

Have you replaced the TPS?

CosKev

My Gti6 engined 309 never did it,neither did my first 306 Rallye,so deffo something amiss somewhere.

Going to try unplugging various sensors one by one and see if that reveals anything ;)

Flying205Nutter

Have you replaced the TPS?

I swapped the whole throttle body,complete. old body working fine on vts.

Flying205Nutter

My Gti6 engined 309 never did it,neither did my first 306 Rallye,so deffo something amiss somewhere.

Going to try unplugging various sensors one by one and see if that reveals anything ;)

Hi, thanks for confirming that it should run smoothly even when cold. So that's 2 other users with the same problem! I have replaced all the sensors now and all the old sensors are running fine on my vts. Has to be wiring now so will get a new loom and when I am board convert it and fit it. God know what to do if that does not sort it.

Flying205Nutter

car should be smooth, hot or cold

mine was fine when it was std, with ITBs and now with Supercharger, starts and idle's perfect

they is something up with anyone's that doesn't

are you running PAS? try unplgging that

isc could be faulty and allowing air in?

No pas but I have still got the sensor pluged it. Should I unplug it?

isc - idle speed control? I have swapped the idle control valve if that's the same thing? Made no difference. car starts and idles perfectly, never stalls.

Alastairh

Tried swapping the cam sensor? Not what i would go for straight away, but i have a mate that had similar issues, i gave him a cam sensor off a scrap engine i had and sorted it.

Al

Flying205Nutter

Tried swapping the cam sensor? Not what i would go for straight away, but i have a mate that had similar issues, i gave him a cam sensor off a scrap engine i had and sorted it.

Al

I am using the cam sensor that came with the new engine and ran fine in the vts.

Paul_13

Same problem here, changed spark plugs, coils... Only started to do it recently though.

Toddy

Best wire in the diagnostic port, not sure whether peugeot planet shows live readings data,

Sign in to follow this