• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Carbs4me

Rotten Inner Wing

Carbs4me

Yeah it had a sheet of fibre glass stuck to it to hide the hole from the wheel arch, also i think the hole has become alot worse since they did that.

If i press the rust thats on the first photo its starts to sound like its going to go though, and its looked layerd, best way i can describe it is it looks like a peice of slate with its layers.

I think the reason behinde it all is the alarm unit that is screwed in there, there is 4 holes and only 2 screws looks asif they have tryed to place it where the hole is relised it wouldnt fit and tryed somewhere else, leaving the metal to rust and create the hole over time.

Carbs4me

Ok update on this!

Here are the images of both sides of my inner wings.

Im still s*itting it about taking my wings off, had the car off the road for a week now.

178398_10152202576375063_999503134_o.jpg

53423_10152202575765063_398225198_o.jpg

Carbs4me

Ive just worked out there is a sheet metal place across the road from me.

So the verdict for the metal size is 0.8mm or 1.0mm thick 3 x 2?

Cheers,

Anthony

rikky

exactly how mine looked. i used about a 1mm sheet, maybe even thicker. my wing is the strongest part of my 205 now :D

Cameron

If you have to use galvanised sheet make sure you remove the zinc layer in the area you want to weld.

Carbs4me

Well the news on this is my grandad has took it upon himself to buy the sheet of metal i have no idea what size it will be, but hes doing the welding and as a x profession MG restorer im guessing hes got what he thought is best.. im guessing he is round at the car now cutting the bits to the correct shapes needed.

Edited by Carbs4me

M@tt

Zintec has a protecive zinc electroplated coating on it which gives it some additional corrosion protection

MiniGibbo

I used kurust and it goes a purple colour when its done its job, how good it actully it is i dont know but seemed ok when i slapped it on.

Think its one of those jobs where its all in the prep.