• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
BenC

Hot Weather Is Causing Non-Starting Problems For Xud7 Turbo Diesel

BenC

Hi all, I have been having a recurring problem with my turbo diesel which is slightly bizzarre and was wondering if anyone can help me get to the bottom of it.

Basically on very hot days when the car has been for a longish run, long enough for the engine to get quite hot if I switch the engine off and then try to start it again it won't start. When I turn the key nothing happens, it doesn't try and turn over at all. There is just a small 'click' noise, which does sound like its inside the dash rather than in the engine bay but I might be wrong. If I let the car cool down with the bonnet open for half an hour or so it will start again without the need for a jump start.

The problem only occurs when the weather is hot and when the car has been for a run. If the car hasn't been for a run and the engine is cool (but weather really hot) it will start which suggests something has to get really hot (e.g. combination of a hot ambient temperature and hot engine) for the problem to occur?

I had the same problem last summer and a few people on here suggested it might be the starter motor. When I took it to the garage they said it was just that the battery was knackered (it had almost no charge) and replaced it. The starter motor was not touched. I had no problems starting after that and over the winter period, but now the weather has got hot again the problem has returned. It doesn't seem to be a battery/charging issue as it will start again after at least a half hour cooling down period. I'm now wondering if when I had this problem last summer me repeatedly trying to start it knackered my old battery somehow? I don't particular want to damage my new one either.

I also don't have any immobiliser fitted (as far as I know, there is no remote or signs of wiring for one in the engine bay).

Well, if you can make sense of my description of the problem good on you! Any help much appreciated. :)

Carbs4me

Starter motor

Happened to my starter and afew others on the forum in the past 3 weeks.

When the engine is warm is wont work... when it goes cold it works again

• Like 1

BenC

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction. Found plenty of useful info. I have got a thick bit of insulated wire to try and test to see if it's the starter or wiring next time it happens. If I touch one part of the cable to the + side of the battery, where on the starter motor should I touch the other end to test it?

pug_ham
If I touch one part of the cable to the + side of the battery, where on the starter motor should I touch the other end to test it?

To the solenoid connection, usually a smaller spade connection on the smaller part of the starter body.

One of my old 205 diesels used to do this & a replacement starter solved it.

g

dave205

Starter motor.

Both of my 205 Dturbo's did the same thing.

Sign in to follow this