• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Full Respray....a Few Questions....

I got a quote today from a local place for a full respray and it's looking to be in the region of 2500 inc vat. Does this sound reasonable? I was thinking it would be around this price, but have only got one quote so far.

This would include them knocking off a couple of hundred if I was to remove side trims, mouldings etc. On that note, they would also want the front and rear screens out. Are the surrounding rubbers still available or can you reuse them, after taking the glass out - both front and rear?

Any other parts when I'm refitting trims etc, such as clips, that a no longer available?

eddie bullit

Sounds about right for a decent job. I think the front sunroof seal is no longer available. Correct me if I'm wrong. Front and rear do need to come out for a proper job along with the sunroof, if fitted.Get your front/rear bumpers and valances off as well while youre at it.

Edd

Anthony

Rear glass is bonded in, so removing that is quite difficult - I'd suggest removing the weather strip and masking the glass personally.

If I recall, only the non-sunroof windscreen seal is available now, although usually they can be reused without issue.

Most clips are still available, although often as only part of a large (and expensive) pack. Some fixings are no longer available though.

Price wise, it seems that the cost for a respray varies massively, from a few hundred to several thousand.

• Like 1

Miles

Check there work, I have seen a few paint jobs that a fine for a year or so then they start to go off or micro-blister

Cost wise I;d say on the high side but it depends on how much prep is needed, the spraying bit is easy

I don't really know much about spraying/painting cars, but they seemed quite good-interested and knowledgable. Someone who had a small bit of work done recommended them. As for how much work would be needed, they said they'd have to take some of the panels down to bare metal due to how far gone the paint is now. I guess it will be quite a big job if they're having to do that?

pugpete1108

I'd suggest removing the weather strip and masking the glass personally.

sorry to jump in but how hard is this to do? i am just about to top coat (next week) and when i primered i just masked up to the rubber seal as i wasnt sure how it was removed or replaced.

would rather not do this on the top coat if its easy to replace the seal afterwards.

Anthony

Removing the weather strip is easy enough - just need to delicately prise it out in one corner, and then the rest you can pull out easily by hand.

Refitting should normally just be a case of going around the glass and pushing the seal back in, but be warned that it can be a bit fiddly - I've never tried with a new seal though, which might be easier (assuming they're still available). Just hope that you don't get what I've just discovered on my current 205 where there was a load of sealant or bonding agent splodged around the edge of the glass and seemingly the seal jammed back in place, as then the damned thing won't go back in if you remove it <_<

I've seen a few 205's that have been painted as you're doing, and it's fine until either water gets under the edge of the paint/lacquer and causes it to lift, or the weatherstrip moves/shrinks slightly and you're left with a noticeable paint line around the edge. Obviously that's much more of an issue if you're changing the colour of the car, as the line will stick out like a sore thumb.

pugpete1108

i might just leave it then, its all masked up ready anyway and at the end of the day its only the boot, it can always be removed and resprayed seperatly if needs be.

Miles

You can buy the seals but was told by my screen fitter they go in with the screen and having tried fitting a couple I would say thats right, the class is rarely in the middle so you have to cut it to fit

matt.f

New front windscreen seals are about £30 iirc.

I've worked in bodyshops since school for 14 years now and always worked at top end bodyshops.So have seen and had to put right cheap paint jobs from other garages, some right bodge ups over the years!!

That price sounds about right.Remember it's not just a case of removing parts then scotching it down and painting lol

It's a Peugeot so presuming there's dents that need repairing/filling,some you have probably not noticed and the panel beater will pick them up straight away.

I really would do your homework and get the foreman/manager to show you some jobs they are on with or even finished cars.

toddydal

any body shop who totaly strip every thing off the car you would think they are decent,any body shop who leave lights handles glass etc etc i wouldnt go near

matt.f

Anyone chimp can take lights,bumpers and trims off though.It's all about preparation and using good products and having decent lads who can refit things properly instead of doing a half arsed job.

mikeygulley

I recently removed the rear screen from a friends 205 for a respray. We pulled the weather strip out then heated up the end of some welding wire and pushed it through the sealant holding it in. We then just started sliding the wire back and forth whilst pulling and cut through the sealant. Took 10 mins with no broken screen :)

We have broken a few before now trying different ways of removing them, mainly with our feet!

The car is totally stripped and got a price of 1k for the respray including prep off a friend of a friend.

matt.f

Front screen-get a big flat screwdriver with some masking tape wrapped around so you dont mark the rubber and just work your way round the screen pushing the rubber over the appature.DON'T slip and put the screwdriver into the screen!

Rear screen-pull seal out,best to use proper windscreen cheese wire and saw it out with a mate making sure you don't saw onto the tailgate.OR get some washing up liquid in a spray and squirt the inside where the windscreen sealer is and go round it with a sharp extendable Stanley knife.

Miles

It does amaze me the amount of car's I've seen with paint marks on the trim, Why it's not removed is beyond me it's got to be quicker than masking it up

cybernck

Wow! You could nearly drive over here for a holiday, get a full respray done and happily drive back!

pugpete1108

It does amaze me the amount of car's I've seen with paint marks on the trim, Why it's not removed is beyond me it's got to be quicker than masking it up

easier to remove yes but not so easy to fit back in?

toddydal

removing the trim IS PART OF THE PREP im my eyes and yes any body can remove trims and stuff but bodyshops who mask up trim is rough as f*** if i went to a body shop and seen a door handle taped up i wouldnt use them,whats the point paying for a respray to have paint edges on trims etc and for it to flake off round the trim in a few months because you cant prep it right with stuff on

MiniGibbo

"how long is a peice of string"

All ill say is you want doors off, glass out and replace all the trims to do the job properly.. what you have to ask you self is if YOU think its resonable.

ive paid a lot more than that for repsrays in the past.

pugpete1108

dont get me wrong my car IS completely stripped of all trim handles glass etc. just not the rear screen seal as (as miles said) they are very hard if not nigh on impossible to fit back in.

i even removed the a pillar door seals (glued on ones), breaking one in the process

IMG_0585.jpg

MiniGibbo

Id personally of sprayed it without the arches but then i am quite anal lol..

welshpug

Id personally of sprayed it without the arches but then i am quite anal lol..

if you really were that particular, wouldn't your rallye steelies be yellow not orange? ;)

• Like 2

MiniGibbo

I like them jcb yellow :D

pugpete1108

And end up ruining the paint when I'm trying to refit them, no thanks.

MiniGibbo

Why would you fit them..?

That's like leaving the number plates on because you don't want to slip with the screw driver and scratch the paint..

• Like 1