• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Full Respray....a Few Questions....

Alastairh

Just get a pro to do the rear screen. When i last had a 205 painted i had a guy removed and refit the glass for less than 50 quid.

pugpete1108

Why would you fit them..?

That's like leaving the number plates on because you don't want to slip with the screw driver and scratch the paint..

have you fitted rallye arches?

if so then you will know its not just as simple as putting two screws in a numberplate.

thay are bonded on and as such part of the car, its like saying; why dont you remove the doors and spray it??

with regards to the weather strip, i think im gonna remove it and go from there. if that glass needs to come out at a later date to refit the strip then so be it, but at least the paint will be behind the strip.

Edited by pugpete1108

MiniGibbo

Doors do come off for a proper spray IMO.

I know you guys haven't seen my BMW or it's journal but that being my long term project has seen an extensive bare spray.

I haven't ever fitted any Rallye skirts no but my ACS skirts are bonded and they'd come off If I had it sprayed again like they did this time around.

I'm not trying to pick holes in your car or troll you, I just geneuinely believe they should of come off.

pugpete1108

Each to their own then I guess?

The doors were off to spray the door shuts along with the boot.

I suppose if it was a full strip down respray in a proper booth then things would be different

I thought it would be better to spray the car with all the panels fitted for better colour continuation along the length of the car.

Edited by pugpete1108

toddydal

yes you are right in what you are saying about paint parts off the car(could be colour difference)but if the painter knows what his doing then there should be no probs,when im doing restro work i can paint the shell,then do the doors then do bonnet and boot(all at differnt times) and i can get it to match every time even on silver,its the prep that i use that garantees a perfect match every time,,,,,,ive seen other painters paint a new door and blend wing and 1/4 and when on the car they dont match

pugpete1108

It's also the fact I don't have space to be doing it all individually.

I want to do the whole shell in one hit, just leaving the valances and grille to do separately.

It's also a bit of a learning curve for me along with a tester to see if I could go into bodywork/paint as a career in the future.

Learn by your mistakes is usually how I do it

MiniGibbo

I should of said, my car is bought not built.. as far as my paint/body work experiance goes it changing my plates lol.....

for anyone local to Bournemouth the guy i use i couldnt recomened enough.

toddydal

i always say to my appentices if you dont make the mistakes how are you going to know how to fix them,but its like any job you have to know whats right from wrong as if you know your not doing it right then chances are it will be wrong,ie masking things up that take minutes to come off,or priming something and you know its not right,but in your case if youve bonded them spats on then better leaving them on,otherwise itl be a messy job bonding them on with nice fresh paint

Tom Fenton

if youve bonded them spats on then better leaving them on,otherwise itl be a messy job bonding them on with nice fresh paint

Absolutely agree, and I am sure all of us with any bodywork experience would say the same.

MiniGibbo

That just dosent sit right with me still lol...

im still a little peaved i didnt get him to remove my front wings when spraying the car lol..

the cars paint is only jsut two years old but im already looking at nearly a full spray again as i want to lighten it further with

alloy doors

grp bonnet

grp boot

cf front wings (cant find grp items)

so may go as well go for a full spray again lol..

SurGie

Ive been quoted 1-2k via a professional highly rated place, i shall be removing all the doors, trim & everything. They will be collecting the car and the price will be better with most of the prep work all sorted beforehand.

I wont mess about with the dings etc, ill leave that to them because if the filler went wrong, i would be to blame not the painters.

I wont be getting the rear screen out either, i have read that once it comes out they do tend to rust around the edges and you would have to rely on the screen fitter to be very good at their job.

How would someone check over their previous work, in a non biased way?

pugpete1108

So I did make the right decision then??? :)

Andy_C

When I had bits done ony last one I saw Craig's work before and that was enough for me. His shop is messy and it took 3 times as long but the job was pretty much perfect.

Price was based on me taking bits off and refitting which I'm always fine with and IF I have the current car painted I'll strip it completely.

Mac Crash

hmmm, nice thread and some good reading here... as often said if I've posted in not quite the right thread then admin feel free to move but this thread is relevant in my opinion.... Valpolicella (Italian Red) 11% perfect general consumption red from Tesco if your shopping for wine this weekend by the way... £5.29 for a 75cl bottle, red cherry and plum.... with a very smooth and fine finish.....

So, yes, with this thread and the wine in mind being worthy of being stuck somewhere together on the 1st page of this section then I should'nt linger....

Cherry red - PK3B paint code and a 1990 Gti... roll forward to 2013... bought the car with the N/S rear quarter in primer, has some minor welding done on the bottom door corners of the shell where the sill meets the door shut, although not sure why the rear quarter was in primer... it's taken me about a year and a half to get round to getting some paint on it... seller said previous owner had a go a painting the quarter himself with rattle cans but the paint reacted. So in my recent haste to get some paint on it before winter (minus 1 degree with frost here this morning), had the rear quarter sprayed with 2-pack (PK3B) by a local painter a few days ago.

Was done properly in a paint booth oven etc - but as a cheap cash job, £130.00, looks fine to me but the 1990 PK3B cherry red isn't the same as the new paint and it stands out a mile... in hindsight I should have realised this and probably so should the painter have, but it was my instruction so I accept that... he has enough paint left to do the whole car if I help him prep it by stripping the trim etc... never been a concours person, I respect people who are but it's not important to me, I'm much more interested in the car being mechanically and structurally sound, straight and functioning as it should, but I do want it to be the same colour all round...

The original paintwork isn't bad (compared to Vauxhall reds as far as fading is concerned) and has only been polished once with auto-glym and came up really well.

Is there anyway to try and blend the two different reds in, i.e. T-cut and how soon after painting can 2 pack be polished/cut etc? or is there any way I can go back and try to match the existing colour? your knowledge/experience/advice would be appreciated - thanks!

Edited by Mac Crash

GLPoomobile

I think you'll struggle to match the reds as Cherry red has a tendancy to fade to a more orangey colour over time.

Mac Crash

I think that's obviously what's happened and is more noticeable now against the new paint, I didn't really want to fully respray the car but may end up having to.

I see I started this topic over a year ago and still haven't had the car resprayed! However, it is completely stripped now, finished off the last bits yesterday. Engine, bumpers, trim, most of interior, brake, fuel lines, tank, glass etc all removed.

Still haven't found a place to spray it though. I've also decided that I'm going to get whoever does it, to do the underside too, mostly as it seems like a pig of a job to do myself. I'd rather choose a place on recommendation though, as opposed to just a local place out of the yellow pages so to speak...

On that note - any recommendations for places in or near to Gloucestershire?

Rich_p

If you've gone to all this effort to strip it have you considered having it dipped too so you are starting from a totally fresh base?

from a conversation I had the other day it's not as expensive as you might think.

roccorich

From the conversation I had with a company at the classic car show its the thick end of two grand if you want to take it away for welding etc between the acid dip and the coating dip as they will need to dip it again when you bring it back.

Theres a guy on the Scirocco forum who does complete rebuilds and he has a trailer to collect and deliver.

Check his thread out. http://www.sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/carforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7985

Basically, I think dipping would just push the price up too much. I really don't want to spend any more than the cheaper quotes I've had already. These are in the region of 2 - 2.5k, which will include exterior, engine bay and underside, which is pretty much as cheap as I can expect I think, from what I have been told. Unfortunately I have no contacts who can do it for "mates rates" as it were!

welshpug

I don't think dipping would be wise from the reports I have heard of cars rotting out from trapped acid.

Blasting with specific media is a friendlier process I believe.

Batfink

The dipping place I used was £900 including them collecting and returning the car. Depending on what you want to use the car for would be whether you want to go for a company that coat the shell after. The place i used drilled all box sections, and loads of the chassis to let air escape and to get all acids and neutralising fluids where they need to go. It would be wise to treat the bare metal inside these sections. I'm guessing lots of people dont and this is why the cars rot out.

ALEX

I paid £800 for a full respray/ inside and out (Cti) but did the all prep myself and the car was a bare shell. I did the underside myself aswel.

mowflow

I'm hoping to pay about that much for a full respray with the car stripped by myself and the underside already done. Windscreen will be coming out as well though as the seal is leaking so needs replaced.

MikeC

Can the tailgate window seal be put back in?

I am going to have my car resprayed, and have got the seal trim from peugeot.