• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ross_mac1987

Mi16 Cutting Out, Relays By Engine Mount?

ross_mac1987

Sorry if this has been asked before i havent had time to search as i have broken down and written this in a panic lol

My mi16 engine cut out and i traced it to one of the two relays that are in tge loom that have been positioned at the cambelt end, just want to know what the relays are for? Its the one that is green causing issues, any help/advice is much apriciated!!

Ross

kyepan

one will be ignition, the other will be fuel pump.

I had cutting out over bumps, turned out to be very corroded connectors in the connector block, i re-terminated them with spades and it was fine after, just make sure everything is properly insulated.

cheers

J

ross_mac1987

thankyou for the reply im going to rewire them asap, im going to look into a way of mounting them as they are only resting on the inner wing and are bouncing around as they wish (which makes for a very interesting drive)

do you or does anyone else know if these relays are standard relays that are easily sourced?

thanks again much appriaciated

Ross

kyepan

They need to be in a box and or solidly mounted...They are fairly standard parts, someone who knows scrappys better will probably be o,to tell you where they are found on other cars

changingman

Here we go again........................

I have the same problem,the engine just died,started again next day first time,but died 5 minutes later on the way home.

I thought to myself "coil" as my last Mi had a coil issue.

Ive replaced the coil but still no spark from the coil.

Is it just fed power through a relay??

I already swapped the green ones around as i remember doing that on my other Mi and it worked for a while,but this time its not having any of it!!!

Ive only had the car a week and i want to get to know it before i take it to the ring next easter.

Thanks for any info.

Liam

changingman

Just swapped all relays around and nowt!!!!

Now i dont know which relay does what!

Although i wasnt stupid enough to swap them more than to anything other than those of the same colour!!!!

kyepan

as above really, pull off the connectors and have a look at the condition of the block

S@m

Essential glovebox tool in my years of running an Mi as a daily driver was a little piece of wire with a male spade on each end for bridging relays in cirumstances such as these. Can also help in diagnosis. I now have the same piece of wire in my 8v but it has not been used....yet.

Sam

changingman

Cheers gents ive already taken each relay out and sanded it down,

Im wondering if i can run a supply from the battery,through a very heavy duty switch,into a suitable relay and into the coil so i can turn it on and off at my leisure????????

changingman

Essential glovebox tool in my years of running an Mi as a daily driver was a little piece of wire with a male spade on each end for bridging relays in cirumstances such as these. Can also help in diagnosis. I now have the same piece of wire in my 8v but it has not been used....yet.

Sam

Was it the two relays down by the drivers light that you bridged??

I cant lift the car up to see if any wires are hanging down as its on grass and so far i live so far out from where my mates/family are that i have no one to help me push it onto the driveway!

S@m

There were occasions where i bridged those relays as a temporary measure to get me home, as said one is the fuel pump and one is the ignition system. Plus if bridging either relay works you can narrow down where the fault lies based on which one it is.

I should say that i only had to do this because the loom on my car was corrdoded and had poor connections everywhere. Eventually i got sick of it and, similar to Kyepan, i went over the loom replacing contacts, resoldering joints and replacing connectors, the car was alot more reliable thereafter.

changingman

There were occasions where i bridged those relays as a temporary measure to get me home, as said one is the fuel pump and one is the ignition system. Plus if bridging either relay works you can narrow down where the fault lies based on which one it is.

I should say that i only had to do this because the loom on my car was corrdoded and had poor connections everywhere. Eventually i got sick of it and, similar to Kyepan, i went over the loom replacing contacts, resoldering joints and replacing connectors, the car was alot more reliable thereafter.

cheers,i may just get a loom professionally installed,once its done its done,i mean if it breaks down at the ring im in a bit of a pickle eh!!

cheers

liam

GLPoomobile

One minor correction to the info above - it's not an ignition relay, it's the injector relay. One fuel pump relay, and one fuel injector relay.

There's nothing special about those relays. I bought brand new ones (black instead of fancy pants colour coded ones) for a handful of English pounds each. Most likely from Vehicle Wiring Products, but I don't remember.

Having been in this same situation (mine was caused by a loose switched live connection on the brown plug under the dash, which meant I intermittanly lost the supply to my coil and relays) I must emphasise the importance of having a multimeter and ideally a copy of the CAPS programme (stickied on here somewhere, but only works on XP) to diagnose a problem like this. When the problem occurs, being able to see what voltages/current etc you are getting at each pin of both relays under different conditions (ign off, ign on, and cranking) will be invaluable in finding the fault quickly and logically rather than stabbing in the dark.

GLPoomobile

Here we go again........................

I have the same problem,the engine just died,started again next day first time,but died 5 minutes later on the way home.

I thought to myself "coil" as my last Mi had a coil issue.

Ive replaced the coil but still no spark from the coil.

Is it just fed power through a relay??

I already swapped the green ones around as i remember doing that on my other Mi and it worked for a while,but this time its not having any of it!!!

Ive only had the car a week and i want to get to know it before i take it to the ring next easter.

Thanks for any info.

Liam

Could well be the same issue I had (mentioned in post above). You really need to check if you are even getting a supply to the coil. To do this you need to pull back the rubber boot from the plug on the coil and insert your probe from the multi meter in to the back of the plug (this is "back probing" to see what you get at each pin. I'm afraid I don;t have the details to hand but it's all covered in CAPS. If you aren't getting +12v to the right pin with ignition on, you aren't going anywhere!

changingman

Could well be the same issue I had (mentioned in post above). You really need to check if you are even getting a supply to the coil. To do this you need to pull back the rubber boot from the plug on the coil and insert your probe from the multi meter in to the back of the plug (this is "back probing" to see what you get at each pin. I'm afraid I don;t have the details to hand but it's all covered in CAPS. If you aren't getting +12v to the right pin with ignition on, you aren't going anywhere!

I sort of tried that ,i put the meter across the pos and neg pins on the plug in to the coil,got nowt and started crying!!!!

I have a mechanic coming over sometime this weekend to help try and diagnose,get it running.

Then like i said,probably time to spend a good few hundred getting a new loom installed!!!!

Cheers guys

Liam

changingman

well.bless my soul,we got meters all over the show and with one turning the key and me on the meter we were able to find all voltages everywhere,but coil was not switching power to other pins,took the crank sensor out,got a resistance of 0.5 ish which i honestly have no idea if thats a good reading or not.

So poked the sensor back in the hole,not done up though and blow me if it didnt start??

It started first time for the next two days,but i didnt take it off the drive.

This morning i was feeling a bit brave and decided to take it out.

Sat ticking over for about 5 mins on drive and then died!

Back to square one!!!

Where can i get a crank sensor from thats not going to charge the earth?

Cheers

Liam

changingman

Not the crank sensor,put brand new one in yesterday,no joy,only two options now,ignition amplifier or dodgy wiring,hope its the amp or im screwed finding the dodgy wiring!!!

changingman

Well all along i said to myself change the ignition module,change the ignition module as it sat there staring me out and guess what i was bloody right,i should listen to myself next time.

Its alive and sat ticking over until it got very hot and one of the spark plug leads pooped off!!!!

Thanks for all you input people!!!

Liam

changingman

Is it ever going to end,now it runs lumpy as hell when driving below 3000 rpm but once it clears it goes like some stuff off a shovel and it bites so hard its like a turbo!!!!!

Ticks over forever on the drive quite nicely though!!

changingman

Well i heard a little trick,freeze the module and it will work again,so ihad a can of pipe freezer in the back of my van,i sprayed the module till it froze and blow me,it started and ran 100% perfect,until it unfroze that is!! I proved beyond doubt that it needs a blue bosch module and from now on im carrying a freezing kit and a bit of lagging to make it stay froze a little while longer,its a good little trick to get you home or off the track if one ever goes on you!!!!

jackherer

Get some heatsink thermal transfer paste and put it between the ignition amp and the plate it is mounted to after cleaning them up thoroughly.

changingman

Get some heatsink thermal transfer paste and put it between the ignition amp and the plate it is mounted to after cleaning them up thoroughly.

Cheers dude,ill do that .

I got a ducellier module and a second hand bosch one the other day,the ducellier on runs like a bag of s*it from the moment it starts but the bosch one ran it perfectly and the little rocket does 45 in first 65 in second and so in,it is a flyer,cant wait to get it rolling roaded.

But i still need a blue amp as i only borrowed the other one!!!

Anyone got one or two ??

Cheers

Liam

Sign in to follow this