• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Bumper Fitting

dirtdog

is it easier to fit the bumper then the valance...or fit the valance to bumper then fit as a full unit?

can't seem to tighten up the driver side bolt (not the side bolts but the bolt/s on the rear facing part hidden under the trim strip).have tried my best...sweating and getting cramp to tighten the bumper bolt with the valance attached and it's having none of it...at least not with my ratchet but it's got to be easier than a spanner and not before the weird flat bolt head chews away the bumper.

am contemplating ttaking it off again(joys!) and cleaning the thread up and giving it a little grease...maybe i should have done this in the first place to help it into place.

any hints or tips of how to make this easier? had a faff trying to get it off & on in the first place... the extra rattling/squeak is really getting old now lol

Anthony

I personally fit the bumper and valance as a complete unit.

The only problem is usually undoing the fixings in the first place - putting it all back together again is straight forward. I don't understand why you're struggling to do up the bumper nuts/bolts - you did properly clean them up so that it all screws together easily by hand before trying to refit on the car, didn't you? Given that you mention the bumper bolt trying to chew into the bumper I'm guessing not?

That is good practice with any fixing really rather than trying to put together dirty corrosion covered threads, as is using a smear of copper grease on any exposed or corrosion prone threads.