• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
morganb

Tps Question

morganb

Hi guys, i know the subject of the TPS has been discussed lots on here but i have quick question - I drive a phase two 1600 gti.

Is there a quick way to diagnose if a TPS is faulty?.

I only ask as the bottom 7mm nut holding the unit on is rounded so im struggling to get the sensor off to test it :(

I removed the connector plug from the sensor and it made no difference to idle speed or how the car runs.

The car is kangarooing quite a bit at low speeds and while it can be left to idle steadily at 1000rpm a small blip of the throttle can cause the idle speed to fluctuate and then not settle back at 1000rpm.

Thanks in advance :)

welshpug

its very simple, its a 2 position switch, so one terminal is a common, and at off throttle the switch will have continuity through one terminal, at WOT it should through the other one.

Anthony

... and unlike most modern cars, it only actually does two things:

1) Enables the fuel cut-off on overrun

2) Enables full throttle fuel enrichment

It isn't actually doing anything as such in regular driving with the throttle part-open. You can even leave it unplugged temporarily to test that any issues are unrelated, although full throttle can feel distinctly flat without the enrichment.

morganb

thanks guys, its a pretty simple device really then. I'll check the terminals tomorrow. Finally its back on the road all legal after spending the last 3+ years on a SORN and looking a real sorry state dumped at the end of my parents garden so im a happy guy!

Sign in to follow this