• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mikeamtrak

1.6 Or 1.9

mikeamtrak

I have just bought a 205 Gti for a project, now the question is, is the engine a 1.6 or 1.9, body is defo a 1.6, (drum brakes at rear) but log book says 1.9 and goes like 1.9 , I can hear everyone thinking dodgy but all vin numbers and mots and so forth check out ok so how can I tell what engine it is, I have tried looking for engine code but I can't find it"....help

welshpug

could easily have had a beam swap, the only true check is a long straw down a spark plug hole to check the stroke

Tom Fenton

Easy external visual check, have a look to see if there is a 3/4" spacer in between the bottom of the block and the sump. 1900's have this, 1600's don't.

mikeamtrak

Done visual check as per tom's advise and can confirm there is a 3/4" spacer so happy days, I still believe it is a 1.6 car tho, as front brakes are the bendix also, any other visual checks i can do to confirm without a doubt?

Also car idles really iratically when warm, maybe whoever cahnged engine didnt change AFM or throttle body? or any ideas of other causes?

welshpug

throttle body is identical, ideally if it is a 1.9 it should have yellow injectors, an ecu part number ending in 359, afm number ending in 109 and a distributor with 066 IIRC.

the idling issues arent likely to be from mismatched components but from worn or badly setup components.

if you look at the VIN, most do have the engine code as part of it, so you should see B6D B6C or B6E typically for a 1.6, D6B for a 1.9.

mikeamtrak

the vin number is VF320CB6224465251 can you decifer??

Tom Fenton

Some other checks, in honesty it is a bit academic, as lots of these cars have been modified over the years.

1600 car should have cloth seats, usually wind up front windows. Front CV joints will have 20mm thread and smaller wheel bearings on 1600. 24mm on 1900's.

welshpug

yup, would have been a 1.6 originally.

mikeamtrak

Electric windows, half leather not sure about cv boot and wheel bearing, i am getting the picture of 1.6 car and modified to be 1.9 including engine but not brakes, Mmmmmmmm why not I wonder,

"the idling issues arent likely to be from mismatched components but from worn or badly setup components."

What badley setup components would cause this, i need to sort out.

welshpug
I am getting the picture of 1.6 car and modified to be 1.9 including engine but not brakes, Mmmmmmmm why not I wonder,

because 1.6 brakes when working well will match the performance of a 1.9 setup, the drum rear handbrake will surpass most disc brakes.

"the idling issues aren't likely to be from mismatched components but from worn or badly setup components."

What badley setup components would cause this, i need to sort out.

any/all of them.

• Like 1

Bovien

Wouldn't the engine id plate show this? For example D6A and so?

pug_ham
Wouldn't the engine id plate show this? For example D6A and so?

Yes, If it hasn't fallen off or been removed.

g

Carbs4me

Its not a Cherry Red 205? with the reg G113 by any chance?

damo

Also aren't the injectors different? Blue on a 1.6 engine and yelow on the 1.9 lump? As a quick check for the engine type over the spacer plate

Possibly a little late to post but worth a mention :)

Sign in to follow this