• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pete C

Snapped O/s Driveshaft

Pete C

I'll have to measure the disc when I get home, but what you may have missed in the above pic is the pad is actually overhanging the edge of the disc by a good 5-10mm, that's why I said I know the disc is wrong!

Pete C

Right then. Disc is 266mm and has a total height to the hub face of about 40mm (bearing in mind it's probably lost some thickness). I believe this makes it offset for the 1.6 hub, which explains the (measured at 10mm) spacers, that takes it back to 1.9/base model offset. Pads overhang by approx 7/8mm which is consistent with calipers/pads designed for 283mm discs being used with 266mm. Calipers are definitely GTI-6, serial number and picture matches that on brakeparts.co.uk and doesn't correspond with any other models that I can see.

Driveshaft has 21 splines, which I believe makes it a 1.6 driveshaft. Therefore hub must be base model.

Am I right? :)

Edited by Pete C

S@m

It begs the question of why someone went to all the trouble of bodging a GTI-6 283mm caliper on then went and used 266mm discs?

brumster

I've seen a shaft go there before, and heard stories of many more over, on the rallying scene - but certainly not pulling out of a petrol station!

Anthony

The carriers may well not be GTi-6 though.

From memory, the 406 calipers themselves are very similar to the GTi-6 ones, but the carriers differ and won't fit the 205 hub as the casting fouls before the bolt holes line up. Using a spacer would address that problem, and is a possibly explaination why it's been done.

Easiest way to prove it is remove the disk and spacer, and try bolting the caliper straight to the hub - if it won't go on because the casting fouls, it's probably 406. There's been a few "306 GTi-6" brake setups people have bought only to find that they're actually 406 items.

Tom Fenton

It is worth measuring the cv joint stub to determine 100% what shafts they are. I have never counted the splines so can't say if 21 splines are 1600.

It is not suprising that the joint breaks there, it is a massive change in section with a relatively sharp corner really.

Pete C

Sam306 - no idea, but it's typical of the kind of bodges I've found on this car. Probably just what they had lying around.

Anthony - I'm pretty sure from what I've seen that the carrier will bolt straight up but will confirm.

Tom - I'm 99% sure it is a 1.6 shaft for various reasons; the hub nut, lack of a notch in the hub flange, lack of a split pin hole, but will measure to confirm :)

Pete C

CV stub is 20mm or thereabouts at the end.

And here you go Anthony, I had to put the spacer the other side because otherwise the bolts are too long, but bolts up lovely:

65cd3d88.jpg

e00c8353.jpg

Liquid_106

25aa51f5.jpg

I think you need new a new wishbone as well looking at that ball joint or at least a new boot to protect it!

Pete C

Thankyou for pointing that out, I was trying to ignore it! :P

Liquid_106

Thankyou for pointing that out, I was trying to ignore it! :P

Sorry :(

Pete C

Haha don't worry :)

Bloody car is costing me an arm and a leg already, it was supposed to be a cheap track toy... The joys of almost classic motoring!

billybluesky

Just reading through old threads and saw this one I had this happen to me too i was just setting off (well booting it actually) when wheel spin then bang same as yours, so maybe it`s not as uncommon as i thought, oh and the drive shafts had done about 45 thousand so they were well tested but were C.V. still good

Sign in to follow this