• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
predatorpaul

Xsara Vts Conversion Driveshaft Questions

predatorpaul

Hello, i have just dropped in my phase 1 vts engine into my 1.6 205 gti, i have used the vts hubs for the brakes and noticed that the 205 driveshaft ends (splines) are a lot smaller diameter, i tried putting the xsara ones in but the passenger side is too long and wont let me connect the ball joint.. any advice on what to do would be fantastic cheers...

Anthony

Don't use the Xsara hubs as they'll give positive camber.

Either use your existing 1.6 hubs, or if you want to run bigger brakes (eg GTi-6/VTS) then use base model hubs. You could also use 1.9 hubs and driveshafts.

You'll also need to swap the diff over in the Xsara VTS gearbox (ie VTS gearbox and crownwheel, with 1.6 diff) if you're planning on using that.

predatorpaul

ok, if im using 309 wishbones will i still have positive camber? or just get some xsara (1.4 etc) hubs?

are 1.9 driveshafts the bigger diameter spline type? i take it thats what you ment by when changing to the 1.6 diff you have to use the 1.6 cup to marry to the rest of the driveshaft..

sorry to have to ask these questions..

Anthony

You'll certainly lose the additional negative camber that 309 wishbones give, and may even still result in slight positive camber.

I meant base model 205 hubs rather than base model Xsara hubs. Base model 205 hubs are just like your current 1.6 hubs, but have the same offset as 1.9/Xsara/306 etc hubs meaning that you can fit the larger brakes off models such as 306's and Xsara's whilst retaining your existing driveshafts.

The passenger side driveshaft on a 205/309 won't fit a 306/Xsara diff properly. You can either use a 306/Xsara inner CV (although I don't think that will mate up with a 1.6 'shaft - only a 1.9/309) which I personally think is a bit of a bodge, or you can remove the Xsara diff and fit your existing 205/309 one, making sure to swap the crownwheel from the Xsara diff onto the 205 one.

1.9 driveshafts have the larger splines at the hub end, the same as 306/Xsara etc. 1.6 and base model have the smaller splines.

predatorpaul

so that means i will have to source a 1.9 diff so that it fits the larger splined driveshaft to then suit the 1.9 hubs and larger brakes? if i fit my 1.6 diff it will only fit the 1.6 diveshafts and smaller brakes i guess

Tom Fenton

Please take this the right way, but you are asking what are the most basic of questions, and you can find out all the answers to these and loads of other useful info that will help you on the way to getting your conversion completed by having a read through the forums and reading other peoples questions and build threads.

The inner driveshaft joints are the same diameter across all the Peugeots using the BE gearbox, so this covers 205 gti, 309 gti, 306 with 1800 and 2000cc engines, and the same for Xsaras. However there is a difference in the length of the shaft that engages the diff hence what Anthony mentions above.

predatorpaul

yeah i know these are simple questions to you and have said sorry to have to ask.. i have completely built this car on my own without help or this forum, i registered to ask this one question as the whole build so far i figured out eg loom, water hoses, rebuilding the rear beam with xsara swing arms and gearing from looking at it, i have just been out in the garage and have realise that the inner driveshafts are the same size so appologise for the question i should have noticed this before, i will now start looking for 1.9 gti hubs and 309 gti driveshafts to suit the 309 wishbones...

predatorpaul

so that means i will have to source a 1.9 diff so that it fits the larger splined driveshaft to then suit the 1.9 hubs and larger brakes? if i fit my 1.6 diff it will only fit the 1.6 diveshafts and smaller brakes i guess

sorry just realised also how stupid this sounds now...

Sign in to follow this