• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

Pricing Up A Gti6 Conversion

Obey_R

Morning all,

I know the actual conversion has been done to death, and there are prices floating about, however most seem to be pretty out of date.

So I'm looking to get my 1.6 converted to a gti6, but being in the armed forces (and the car in storage at the mo) I need to be able to get a quote, give it to someone for a while, then pick it up as and when it's done.

I know there are a few guys on this forum who do the conversions, so if any of you are willing to give me a rough price, it'll give me something to think about, and hopefully act upon!

The car is currently in dry storage in Lincoln, with a healthy 1.6 running a set of twin 40 Dellorto carbs. I'm looking to have a gti6 engine, with 6 speed box, fitted. Either a known good, or to have cambelt, tensioners etc done before it goes in. The 1.6 and carbs that come out can be sold to fund/bring down the price of the conversion.

As well as the full conversion, I would ideally like to collect the car with a 12 month MOT on it, too. To pass it would likely need the wishbone bushes changing (an advisory from last year). Ideally, whilst the engine is being changed I would like the engine bay derusted (there isn't any visible rust) and painted (matching paint supplied by myself).

As said, being in the forces I don't have much time to organise things, which is why I'd like to be able to drop it off, pay some money and collect it when it's done. However at the same time, I wouldn't really have a deadline. So if it's something that could be done in spare time/evenings to drag it out and make it a bit cheaper, I'm all for that!

If you've taken the time to read this, thanks!

Ross.

dcc

Getting somebody else to do it, budget £1000 ish.

£300 for extra work for mot.

Miles will offer a very good service for you, have also heard good things about dan taylor.

chipstick

There was a thread a couple of months ago which I added a half decent list with a few parts to give an idea of how the cost can actually mount up based on how well you want it done.

If you want reliability from it, I would suggest the BBM hose kit at a touch under £200.

Then for the loom you have the choice of a few people on here, so expect to pay around £110 to £200+ for that.

Clutch, re angled manifold and a solid rear mount would be another £200 approx.

For piece of mind you may wish to have the cambelt done on the engine when it's out ready to go in.

Other sundries soon add up. Around £20 for an exhaust manifold gasket, several quid for a inlet gasket, circa £22 for exhaust fitting kit. Then you may wish to have replacement driveshaft seals and the fork bushes etc. It's the little £20 here and there that soon build up.

Depends on the level of finish you specify I suppose.

I really should add up what I spent on the odds and sods. I also opted for things like a new metal water pipe while I was there - again for a bit of reliability and to save having to do things fairly soon again inthe future. I was sad enough to keep receipts for things like jubilees and fuel hose, so I could soon come up with an accurate price.

Anthony

For piece of mind you may wish to have the cambelt done on the engine when it's out ready to go in.

I'd argue that is really a must-do given how prone GTi-6's are to prematurely snapping belts. It really doesn't make any sense whatsoever to not do it prior to fitting the engine for the sake of £60 odd that a cambelt kit costs, even if the donor engine has supposedly had a replacement belt in the past few thousand miles.

Most of the rest of the prices and points that Dan makes are spot on though, and to do the conversion properly - especially if you're factoring in labour for someone else converting the car for you - will quickly add up to a fair amount of money. There are a few places where you can potentially save a little, but basically, it's one of those things whereby in my opinion if you're going to do it you should do it properly rather than cut corners all over the place and ending up with a troublesome, bodged and sub-standard conversion - of which there are many out there aleady.

• Like 3

kyepan

one note, really don't get a 6 speed box, the turning circle on 306's is bad enough, let alone how it affects the 205 turning circle!!

Obey_R

Yeah I appreciate that there are quite a few hidden costs, most of which I don't really know about which is the idea of this topic. I'm hoping people who have done this conversion before, or people who would be willing to quote me for undertaking the work, would be able to give me a bit more info :)

Gman

Give Miles a shout and ask for a quote. Just be specific at what exactly you want doing, as Miles does a thorough job and you may end up paying for things you didn't quite factor in.

If you're not supplying the parts, and you go for a better gear box like a VTS or Mi box, then I would say 2000 wouldn't be far off. Also factor in trailor costs and time getting the thing down to the south coast

Miles

Before anyone can really confirm a price it really does depend on which options you need, Everything above is worth noting along with things like a clutch cable, As it's 2 min job to fit, Clutch Kit, New cross shaft bearings and maybe shaft, The engine itself, Box wise as said the Xsara VTS box is most recommended as Keypan's said the lock is a joke.

Engine bay Paint does take a while to prep and if your happy with rattle can finish then fine or add around £125.00 for my Sprayer to do it

But on average the cost is around £1500.00 to £2000.00,

Engine's now I'm tending to get the head checked, skimmed and valves re-cut as it's give piece of mind and again when the engine's out it's a doddle

harryskid

Some good advice given here , The price average given by Miles is very good and i wish i had known him when i had mine done. I had to have mine fitted twice because a moron mucked up the first conversion and it cost a lot more to get it sorted out ! :)

allye

one note, really don't get a 6 speed box, the turning circle on 306's is bad enough, let alone how it affects the 205 turning circle!!

Lies! People who mone about are just panzies, I live in the middle of a town and its fine, just need to take an extra shunt now and again, something I can live with for amazing novelty of the 6 speed!

laldy875
healthy 1.6 running a set of twin 40 Dellorto carbs.

Are you sure you want to do the conversion? :P

Not trying to put you off, but you could just get your wishbone bushes and other maintenance stuff, (e.g. new set of dampers, fast road cam?) and have a great car. I've just finished a gti6 conversion and it is really fun, totally different animal, but there is no way I would have swapped the engine if I had a healthy runner. You will end up with a faster car but still have to do all the maintenance suspension and chassis work to get it up to a good standard ££££

If your still going to go for it get miles to do it. Heaps of pictures on the pug racing facebook

CaptainK

I've just finished a gti6 conversion and it is really fun, totally different animal, but there is no way I would have swapped the engine if I had a healthy runner.

^^ Same here. I only converted to GTI6 on my 205 when the original 1.9 engine in it died.

As for the cost of my conversion..... we won't go into that (many thousands), but needless to say follow the advice of the people above and choose a good well known person / company to do the work for you.

shalmaneser

TBH you're much better off buying a decently converted car then doing it youself. I did it myself for the 'fun' (maybe that should be experience) but if you're not interested in getting greasy buying someone elses car is cheaper and easier.

chipstick

To be honest I'd recommend doing your own. At least that way you know exactly which routes you want to take and which shortcuts you wish to avoid.

• Like 1

Miles

I would beg to differ on the already converted car, They quite often cost more to sort out than doing it from scratch

shalmaneser

Meh, well i might sell mine soon and it's as solid as a rock :P

damien

To be honest I'd recommend doing your own. At least that way you know exactly which routes you want to take and which shortcuts you wish to avoid.

2nd this, then if you do it yourself your learning a new skill and when it comes to fixing you know what and how bits have been done.

DrSarty

I'm ex-forces myself so can appreciate that you have time and money on your side, BUT, want things to be done properly and ready on time.

Miles' and Anthony's comments to me make the most sense so far in general.

To clarify, I think a budget of £2k is a must, and any £££ change is a bonus. Building a relationship, or should I say partnership, with the 'contractor' you choose is critical, so he/she can advise you (via email if necessary) of additional bits/work needed and queries as required is THE most important factor.

Back to basics, you have a 1.6 and must consider costs for 1.9 hubs, brakes and shaftsif you're not staying with 1.6 items. Even then, your 1.6 on carbs may already have these changes. Some argue they're not necessary, but they are a good platform, relevant to the 160bhp+ for future mods. These alone could cost another £200-300.

People like Miles do great work, and if turn up, pay and drive away is your thing, i.e. missing all the adventure of doing the conversion itself, then a £2k spend is likely. Doing it yourself - when you are at home on POTL (paid) - potentially might save you £700-£1000.

But these really are ballpark figures, and if you're not going to acquire the parts and do it yourself/with some of us/with other friends, then you have to choose your contractor carefully and agree budget and scope (i.e. limits/definition of what needs to be done) in advance and leave them to it. You could potentially demand updates to a schedule to maintain control; I see nothing wrong with that.

damo

I know i gave up adding all the bits up once I hit £2000 for my agree value insurance !!!

Mind you thats everything including the cam belt kits, clutch, BBM hoses, re angled manifold,loom, oil, gaskets, engine paint etc etc. I thought the £400 for the engine was going to be the expensive bit but its all the servicing bits that add up!!

I did collect most bits over 12 months before I started and my build thread covers most parts you need including part numbers as some bits pug no longer sell too, used places like unipart to source.

Sign in to follow this