• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Going Back To Std Managment, What Will I Need

pugpete1108

im considering going back to std managment to move on the ms ecu for a future project, but as i have never run mine on a std ecu i really havent got a clue what i will need.

im currently running wasted spark so i guess i will need a set of coil packs, i have removed the cam sensor so will i need that back?

ill need a loom obviously and an unlocked ecu, will any loom do of does it need to be an earlier non mutliplex one.

ive go no idle valve fitted so will need that too but what about the carbon canister bits and resonator chamber etc as i have removed all this.

looking back at this list it looks like hard/expensive work ha ha.

also just realised i have no fan control either as my ecu does it. balls

Edited by pugpete1108

Anthony

What engine? GTi-6 I'm guessing from your mention of a cam sensor and non-multiplex loom?

Anthony

Pretty much you'll need to refit most of what you've removed - certainly you'll need the ICV and cam phase sensor, and you'll either want to leave the carbon canister valve connected (but no piping) or replace it with an appropriate resistor to stop the ECU logging a fault code.

You'll need a set of four GTi-6 coils to replace the wasted spark setup.

The resonator box on the inlet isn't needed, so if it's currently removed and blocked that'll be fine.

Loom wise, either a 306 GTi-6 or a Phase 1 Xsara VTS will do - same goes for the ECU, ensuring that it's unlocked obviously. You can't use the Phase 2 VTS stuff as that's all multiplex, and whatever loom you use will need adapting to link in with the 205 wiring.

Fan control is easy enough - just refit the original 205 fan mini-loom, or better still adapt the 205 diesel relay controlled setup. Obviously you'll need the fan switch on the rad too if you've removed that.

chipstick

you'll either want to leave the carbon canister valve connected (but no piping) or replace it with an appropriate resistor to stop the ECU logging a fault code.

I've seen many on here (myself included after seeing this) that have been fully removed and blocked off on the throttle body with no problems. Is it just a fault code that this method produces? As I've not noticed any ill effects.

Anthony

It will work fine with it missing, just logs a fault code on the ECU.

Either way, you block off the throttle body as non-CAT cars don't have the appropriate pipework or a carbon canister to plumb in anyway. You then either just leave the small CC valve plugged into the loom (but no pipes connected to it) or replace it with a resistor (do a search for the value required) to fool the ECU into thinking it is connected and stop it logging a code, but if you don't care about the code, you can just remove it completely and leave the plug unconnected.

Of course, it's slightly academic on the later looms anyway if you don't wire up a plug to be able to read the codes as I don't think from memory the CC valve will illuminate the engine management light (assuming that's even wired in, which most conversions I see it isn't) - I'm sure someone will confirm.

chipstick

Code would make no odds to me anyway. Well, even less so now as mine doesn't have the GTi6 loom and ECU anymore :lol:

pugpete1108

Looks like I'm on the lookout for an ecu and loom then :)

Do any other 16v xu's use cop?

Anthony

S16's do, but it's a different design from memory and probably much harder to find than the GTi-6 ones! I can't think of any other UK sold XU's that do.

If you get stuck, I've got half a dozen GTi-6 coilpacks here.

Miles

Yep S16 ones are 3 pin and different fitting