• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pierre_b

Rebuilding Of My Xu5

Pierre_b

Hello,

I am beginning the rebuilding of my XU5J. The aim was finishing for July, but as my machinist has taken 3 months to gave me a quote for the work asked, and is going to gave my parts back for middle of July (finger crossed), so ending is now more for the end of the year.

So now I am doing some shopping, sorting and cleaning the parts for assembly.

To explain my build, the bottom end is a XU5J, mixed with a XU5JA head for the bigger valves and cam. The pistons are new (the old have to much "clearance" with the pin), the liner are just going to be hone, and the block deck. The crank with the flywheel is going to be balanced, the rod bolts are going to be change for ARP's, and the big end are going to be checked (the engine rebuilt began years ago because one bearing died).

I have spend some time on the pdf with peugeot reference booklets from drSarty post, and I have so far two questions :

- I have disassembled my engine years ago, so I don't remember every thing, but I don't think that I had the cranck spacer ref : 0512 21. Is that on any engine ? Have you got any picture of how it goes on the crank (I don't understand on the picture how it fits with the crankshaft keys ?

- I would like to change the studs for my exhaud manyfold, but there is 2 ref 6929 23 and 6929 24, which seems to be slightly different on length, and there is no affectations. Which one should I take ?

Thank you very much for your help,

Pierre

Pierre_b

Some quick work today, the cam shaft, as most of the part of the engine, sat for several year on a shelf, so the oil kind of dried. I decided to clean it with some polish. I am pretty proud of the result, so I would like to share :

Half way through :

aachalfclean.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-01

All cleaned :

aacclean.jpg

Shot at 2012-07-01

Pierre_b

Hello,

Some news about my build. The machinist has done his job, and I got my parts back on week ago. Last week I started buying some part, I picked them yesterday, and today was cleaning and tidying the shelf, organise the parts, and a bit of painting on the block (grey).

Here's some pictures :

partsf.jpg

The parts start piling up :

- pistons and rods with ARP bolts

- head bolts

- cam belt kit...

parts2z.jpg

The crankshaft, that has been balanced. The flywheel is from a motronic engine, because I want to be able to switch my megasquirt in a 60-2 tooth mode.

etabli.th.jpg

The shelf were I am going to assemble the engine.

culasse.th.jpg

The head, that need to be cleaning (the grinding of the seat and valve left some metal everywhere).

blocy.th.jpg

Finally the block, while being paint.

The next thing is going to be cleaning the head, and the block, then starting assembly, by the head, or the block, I don't know yet.

I am still looking for a picture of an assembled crankshaft, with the cranckspacer that I have seen on service box, so If any body has one,

Thanks,

Pierre

ALEX

The Crank spacer is for the 1.9 engine XU9 the 1.6 XU5 doesn't have them.

Pierre_b

Hello, thank you for your answer. I have assembled the cranck shaft for balancing and every thing fits tight so i don t have a clue about this thing, that i have discovered by looking at the picture you put online. If i have no answer i might buy the thing and see if it fits.

Any advice about the places were i should put sealant and witch type ? So far, i am think about kuril2 for the sump, and maybe a bit for the cam cover and thats it.

If you have some threads to suggest with assembly tips or detail for a begginer building a stock engine, that would be nice.

Thank you,

Pierre

Edited by Pierre_b

Tom Fenton

Have a look for my XU5T turbo 1600 build, there are lots of pictures of me building the engine, and apart from the odd thing it is all the same as your XU5.

Sign in to follow this