• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tesstuff

205 Gti 1.6 Vs Fiesta Xr2 Vs Mg Metro Turbo - 1984 Road Test

Tesstuff

Here is the first in a double challenge for the 205 1.6 Gti against the other hot hatches of the time.

7441791252_5031bb65fb_b.jpg

7441792022_c7f117fbdb_b.jpg

7441792814_d74272e84e_b.jpg

7441793484_ce1af81c5d_b.jpg

7441790678_59e94fc9b3_b.jpg

KRISKARRERA

Have you found the roadtests on flickr by any chance?

dandanger

phase 1 dash not my favourite type phase 2.5 every time

C_W

Just look how dated the Metro looks there, the 205 still looking relatively fresh.

Baz

Nice!

But isn't that a very early 205 and as such doesn't have the full later GTi suspension setup etc?

Having owned a couple of Fiesta's (Mk1 with 1600 CVH & Mk2 XR2's) they're really not a patch on the 205's handling.

shalmaneser

105bhp engine, too.

I love reading these contemporary road tests!

dandanger

i owned a xrpooi after my 1st 205 gti and i hated it the cvh engine was just so so flat i couldnt wait to get another 205 the 1.6 just revs and revs and then bangs on the limiter the cvh engine mind it just felt like it didnt like to be reved hard

christopher

Thats a bit hard on the CVH. I had mk2 XR2 with a Kent CVH 22 cam and a Janspeed system and it revved and went like the clappers.

e8_pack

Had a few XR2's back in the day, i always thought it looked pretty sporty, even back then. That Metro looks so dated, you dont see many with the recessed front lights, probably the most rare of the three now.

The 205 definately looks the most modern, even by todays standards the 205 is a nice looking car.

Always liked old fords though, saw an XR2 on the motorway a few months back, was great seeing one on the road, not sure i'd linger as long over a 205, they seem to be far more abundent. Just seemed like quite an event to see the old fiesta!

Edited by e8_pack

bigearmuffs

Having had a Fiesta XR2, MG Metro and 205 I personally prefer the 205 on handling and performance, amazing that Austin carried on so long with the A series engine.

brumster

Ha, love it :)

My first car was an MG Metro (non-turbo); such fond memories, but I think everyone remembers there first couple of years driving with 'fond memories'. Those early models with the recessed Sherpa-esque front lights haven't aged well at all, have they :( Pug looks fresh as a daisy. They seem quite polite to the Metro but the reality of it is it's a gear short, several CC's down and neutered by a turbo that gave up before it applied any serious push in order to retain gearbox life for warranties. That fecking gearbox killed off the A-series :)

In a modern world of the 205 gti, it's hard to think of anything seriously positive about the Metro, except maybe the beautifully crisp throttle response and a characterful-sounding engine... but I still loved E322 VOK ;-)