• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
the pugman!

Shim/tappet Clatter?

the pugman!

Hi all, my 205gti 1.9 has only done 67k on an 'f' plate as stored many years, the motor is very strong with good oil pressure, however it does clatter on start up and a little less when hot on the dizzy end of the head so am assuming its the tappets or a shim perhaps?, any ideas please, as i was told they do tap alot anyway these motors!. Many thanks.

dcc

They are known to make a hell of a noise from the smallest of cracks along the exhaust manifolds which are very common now. So much so they sound almost like a knock rather than an exhaust blow. The injectors are quite loud also. By any chance, when you put your foot on the clutch does the noise go away or get 'better'?

the pugman!

They are known to make a hell of a noise from the smallest of cracks along the exhaust manifolds which are very common now. So much so they sound almost like a knock rather than an exhaust blow. The injectors are quite loud also. By any chance, when you put your foot on the clutch does the noise go away or get 'better'?

Hi, thanks for your reply, will investigate further and check the clutch with pedal down!, and also the exhaust manifold, i know it blows further back where it connects to a competition system, but the clatter does seem to eminate from the head, dizzy end.

Anthony

If you're concerned about the valve clearances, it's only three bolts to remove the cam cover and then you've free access to check them with a set of feeler gauges - should take 15-20 minutes tops to check them all

Atreides

Second this. I've just replaced a blowing exhaust manifold gasket, and the 'blow' was absolutely tiny....almost unnoticeable to the eye when inspected. But my god, did it make a racket when under load!

the pugman!

If you're concerned about the valve clearances, it's only three bolts to remove the cam cover and then you've free access to check them with a set of feeler gauges - should take 15-20 minutes tops to check them all

There's a bit more to it than just 3 bolts removing the cam cover, the camshaft itself has to come out to check the shims etc.

Tom Fenton

There's a bit more to it than just 3 bolts removing the cam cover, the camshaft itself has to come out to check the shims etc.

Correct, but to check what the clearances are can be done, as described. You need to measure the clearances first of all to decide if the shims need changing. If the clearances all measure OK then they don't, and a new cam cover seal and you are back where you started, looking somewhere else for your noise. If the clearances do need work THEN you are into removing the cam.

Slo

Eh? how can you check valve clearances if you remove the camshaft? Isnt that what you would want to be measuring? Valve to camshaft clearances?

• Like 1

welshpug

yes, the procedure to correcting any inaccuracies in the clearances recorded requires removal of the camshaft.

the pugman!

Second this. I've just replaced a blowing exhaust manifold gasket, and the 'blow' was absolutely tiny....almost unnoticeable to the eye when inspected. But my god, did it make a racket when under load!

Hi, yes my exhaust manifold or the gasket has blown and its making a terrible clatter/racket! will get round to sorting it when i've now got the damn engine running as it keeps cutting out when hot, then only restarts after its cooled down!! Edited by the pugman!

Sign in to follow this