• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Are Diagnostics Plugs 2 Or 3 Pin?

dave205

As above really for the 406 8v turbo engine, and also where do the cables run? I assume straight to the ecu but dont know which pins.

welshpug

either 2 or 16 :lol:

dave205

Ok. So as the question ses what should be on a 8v turbo engine?

Miles

As above, depends on the year so no answer without seeing your loom

dave205

The engine is from a 97 406. Motronic mp3.2 ecu.

dave205

either 2 or 16 :lol:

I assume you mean the plug has either 2 or 16 pins, or do you mean the cables run to ecu pin numbers 2 and 16?

pug_ham
I assume you mean the plug has either 2 or 16 pins, or do you mean the cables run to ecu pin numbers 2 and 16?

The diag plug will have either two or 16 pins, depending on if the car had an OBD port under the dash.

My Autodata shows it would've had one but its not exactly an exact science & if it had the odb port, it would still be on the donor car.

g

dave205

It doesnt have an OBD just 2 cables that used to run to a test connector plug, but im sure what type of plug or what you plug into it.

I assume your earth one of the cables and ot blinks the engine management in relation to a fault code?

pug_ham

Just had another look at my autodata & the only info for the 406 2.0T shows them with all an ODB port below the steering wheel originally, 97 is the first listing for this engine in a 406.

Have you got the MIL light wired up? This signal comes from pin 2 on the ecu, the other wires for the DLC are pins 13, 55 & 43, pin 43 is also shown going to the instrument panel but to the speedo not the MIL.

Has your 205 got the green two pin plug by the m/c or o/s strut in the engine bay?

g

jonnyturbo

im sure i read about people having 3 pin plugs on here, mine has a 2 pin and snapon diagnostics wont read the ecu, only peugeot planet i think.

dave205

The haynes manual i have doesnt show an obd port only a 2 pin test connector and cable cabled engine diagnostic tel tale which leads to the cluster. I cant find anything called a mil light.

I have had a look in the engine bay and there is no connector that isnt used under the engine bay. When i put the dngine in i found and labelled to cables which correspond to the ones running to the test connector on the haynes diagram, but they have no plug and i have no idea what it should look like unfortunatly.

A few people have suggested the fuel pressure regulator is knackered so ive changed that with no joy, other things like inlet air temp sensor,lambda sdnsor, throttle position sensor, knock sensor, tempreture sensors, crankshaft sensor, have all also been suggested to me. I dont know if or how they can be tested though.

I pressume i'll have to replace everyone of them to cure it?

And just to give you insight to the symptoms, it stinks of petrol when running (very strong), backfires continually, drinks fuel (8-10mpg), misses like crazy wen holding a steady throttle in any gear, particulaly at low revs and when pulling away in first it bogs down.

Completely sick of it now, its getting to the point its un-drivable.

Miles

Pug Planet won't read it either, you need the early diag tool or I think you can make a test light as listed in the joke book,

None had 3 pins thou

dave205

Pug Planet won't read it either, you need the early diag tool or I think you can make a test light as listed in the joke book,

None had 3 pins thou

What you mean the joke book? Its a 3 pin plug but with only 2 pins used. Ive identified the cables already just need to know what to do with them?

jonnyturbo

tried the switch and led trick if thats what your on about on mine and the light just stayed on, im sure i had 12v comming from both pins when i tested with m/m.

jonnyturbo

pin 55 and 13 are for the plug, the other is supposably built in to the loom and goes to the multi plug for the mil lamp.

dave205

pin 55 and 13 are for the plug, the other is supposably built in to the loom and goes to the multi plug for the mil lamp.

Both 55 and 13 are live 12v, just tested them.

Put a bulb on the mil lamp wire and it wont light up, so no fault then?

dave205

Also just tested the mil lamp and that goes down to earth

Daviewonder

I was under the impression they were 3 pin too due to C001 having 3 pins-

Click

jonnyturbo

yeah davie thats where i got my info on the 3 pin plug too.

dave205

I was under the impression they were 3 pin too due to C001 having 3 pins-

Click

The diagram i have shows a 3 pin plug with only 2 cables connected into it.

ade 4wd

Have you connected the engine management lamp (pin 2 on ECU) on the dash. This lamp should come on when you turn on the ignition and go out and stay out as soon as the engine is running. Not all faults will cause the lamp to come on while the engine is running. I wouldnt worry too much about the diagnostic connector (pins 55 and 13 on ECU) as only very expensive diagnostic equipment will read the codes. If its overfueling check the engine coolant teperature sensor also check the little vacuum pipe isnt damaged between the engine ECU and inlet manifold.

dave205

Im going to wire up it in the morning hopefully, and see if it lights it up.

I'll check those other bits aswell whilest im there.

Sign in to follow this