• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TheReaperWaits

1.9 8V Running Issues...

TheReaperWaits

Howdy folks,

Just signed up to learn more about these cars and hopefully get mine sorted. :)

I have a rather strange issue that I will try to explain....

On a normal morning when I head to work the car will start, pull away, chug, then die. After starting up (first time) it will happily drive just fine to work. It's when I finish to go home that the problem occurs. It could be four or eight hours later, but it will start and then just chug consistently. It will stall five or six times at junctions, sometimes taking ages to start (smell of petrol occurs), before starting and then chugging away. It will do anything from 2-10 or so 'chuggs' before suddenly finding power and going as normal until I lift off the accelerator completely (changing gear, slowing down etc) then it will start chugging away again.

Funny thing is when it constantly stalls when moving forward from standstill, it will always go in reverse. First time, everytime.

Fixing attempts:-

New spark plugs

New HT leads

New ignition coil

New Distributor cap and arm

Any ideas of where to go next..?

I'm currently looking for new air hoses as the current ones look a bit worn and a few are gunked up. Any good places to get these from?

Have noticed a slight oil leak too, so will have to find where that is coming from...

Cheers for any help (sorry for the long read). :blush:

tom pug

Hi have you checked the sad valve (supplementary air device) opens and closes correctly

S@m

What do you mean by 'chug'? Not running on all cylinders?

Tom Fenton

Air flow meter.

TheReaperWaits

Not got to the SAD yet, I don't believe it operates properly as it is...

By 'Chugging' It's as if it consistently gets a little power... then doesn't, then does etc...

I had the AFM swapped and it made no difference.

I just got done switching the spark plugs and it is running okay (though it is the first time I started it up today) so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

tom pug

Did you swap the air flow meter with the same bosch number on the black cap on top?

welshpug

swapped with what? another knackered one probably :lol:

do some tests on it, details in the haynes manual, simple ones with a multimeter and a long screwdriver :)

TheReaperWaits

Swapped with a friends from his running car... :-P

Tom Fenton

The next thing I would check is fuel pressure, specifically what it does when you get this "chugging" whatever that is? Your description of the fault isn't really helping us diagnose it.

1 FAT PUG

ecu temp sensor.?? think they have 1, might be dumping too much fuel in

Sign in to follow this