• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrMemzi

106 Gti Engine Into A 205 Gti?

MrMemzi

For the people who have previously done this, would you say it was a worth while swap? And was any body work modifications needed?

• Like 1

Sandy

Doesn't pay you back for your efforts like an XU. But on it's own a good conversion.

MrMemzi

Oh really? What engine?

allye

Doesn't pay you back for your efforts like an XU.

Mi16/GTI6/S16 etc

welshpug

1,6/1.9 gti ;)

MrMemzi

I brought a 1.9 lump but im worried itll be undriveable down motorways due to having a 1.6 box. So i was thinking S16 instead. Heard There more reliable and love a set of cams

allye

1,6/1.9 gti ;)

I assumed this is what he already had!

dandanger

TU engine totally useless but thats just my opion

johnnyboy666

any reasoning to back that up? sounds like you're saying TU engines in general are useless, or do you just not like this particular engine?

allye

Best argument ever, strange how they were used for so long in so many cars :wacko:

• Like 1

welshpug

still used to this day :lol:

Sandy builds a good one if you have the budget ;)

dandanger

just they have always felt flat compared to an xu engine and xu just says thrash me a tu just feels like the ford cvh lump but thats just how i feel... The 16v from the 106/saxo prob the best out of all the tu's but not a shade on the xu10j4rs

johnnyboy666

sounds like a tu with single point injection down to the ground. a tu3s on the other hand is a completely different kettle of fish

Daviewonder

Not driven a 106 GTI then?

welshpug

the rally Saxo I service for probably has the most rounded torque band I've seen for a while, short of a standard pug V6!

171 bhp peak and 140+ lbft peak, over 130lbft between 3 and 8k!!

dandanger

i have been in a 106 gti that had been turbod that was prob the best tu engined car iv been in.... but my argument it why bother doing a 106 gti conversion when a xu10 lump would be better for the same trouble actually prob easier to do (i have no fact base for this tho)

Daviewonder

A great man once wrote-

To answer the first question of "Why?" my reply is "Why not?"

;)

dandanger

A great man once wrote-

To answer the first question of "Why?" my reply is "Why not?"

;)

:D very true but why bother unless u got given a 106 gti engine

lemmingzappa

Because some people like doing something a bit different!

S@m

The TU engine range has far outlasted the XU - its still plugging away dragging brand new, heavy Citroen C3's around, i think its a good, often underrated, engine.

Plus, i might even be tempted to say that an XS is even more smiles per mile than a GTI...maybe thats just me.

Sam

MrMemzi

I had a 106 gti and had it cammed an Mapped as such. I felt it was more Unlocked as if it was mapped it shouldnt be idling funny. Anyway the cams gave the Tu engine ridiculous power for what i payed. So thats what i was hoping to do again. But reading on conversions i think im just going to stick to the original plan of a 1.9 engine on a 1.6 box as it is really a weekend car and ive just started tracking it. So now the 1.9 rebuild begins as unfortunately the 205 i pulled it out of had been sitting in a overgrown garden for 10 odd years. Luckily it still turned by hand. But looks like a defo head rebuild! Thank you all for you opinions and answers.

• Like 1

allye

The TU engine range has far outlasted the XU - its still plugging away dragging brand new, heavy Citroen C3's around, i think its a good, often underrated, engine.

Plus, i might even be tempted to say that an XS is even more smiles per mile than a GTI...maybe thats just me.

Sam

I drove around a ph1.5 XS for a few months, ratty on the outside, tight underneath though. One of the best cars I've ever had, so much fun! All standard, sounded great and went round corners amazingly :wub: good memories in that one.

boldy205

Another vote for the XS, an amazingly capable car. I owned a totaly standard PH2 XS, and learnt the joy of lift off oversteer.

As for the 106 engine, its light weight, and with a set of cams, surely a winner!

welshpug

As for the 106 engine, its light weight, and with a set of cams, surely a winner!

oh no its not :lol:

boldy205

oh ah, i forgot, its an iron block! DUH!