• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

306 1.4 Running Problems

Alan_M

Recently been having a few running problems with my 'free' 306 1.4. The problem is that it splutters every now and then, particularly when you push the throttle more, losing power momentarily but not stalling nor the rev-counter dropping. Appears to get worse with heavy rain, for example last week about 5 mins down the M11 from Duxford museum, it felt like it had dropped to about 2 cylinders, a few minutes later it ran fine and 100% for the rest of the way home. It even did stunning mpg on that particular trip too (210 miles from £25ish).

When it does struggle in the wet, I've checked for damp and found nothing. It's got spark and appears to be getting fuel ok. Pretty sure it's a management fault somewhere, but no fault light.

Really struggling to put my finger on the fault, as it runs great 95% of the time and is ultra cheap.

Not checked earths yet, nor power leads ( the strands are starting to fray at the crimps) but need to as the water temp gauge has a mind of its own and the CD player cuts out occasionally. It 'might' affect it?

Anthony

Ignition side of things is definitely OK isn't it? Things like knackered HT leads will give similar issues to what you're suffering in cold and damp conditions, as potentially could a dying coilpack.

Alan_M

Ignition side of things is definitely OK isn't it? Things like knackered HT leads will give similar issues to what you're suffering in cold and damp conditions, as potentially could a dying coilpack.

I've got the Saxo here waiting for an MOT, so will swap the leads over and check.

Hope it's not the coilpack, that was a new one from last year.

Paul_13

I had the same problem in the past where the stereo cut out and turned out to be a dying alternator. Just a suggestion.

Does it have a lambda? Are the sensor wires exposed under the car and the damp getting to them?

Alan_M

I had the same problem in the past where the stereo cut out and turned out to be a dying alternator. Just a suggestion.

Does it have a lambda? Are the sensor wires exposed under the car and the damp getting to them?

Certainly does, but it's mounted fairly high up on the TU downpipe, right in front of the block.