• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
magicmopman

205 Xs Idling And Running Issues

magicmopman

Hi guys,

I've got a strange issue with my 1989 205 XS, the car tends to run really well and is still quite quick however the car will usually stall if I'm slowing for traffic lights. The carb reeks of fuel after I turn the car off and often 3 or 4 drips of fuel will drop from the carb itself after shut down.

The strange thing is that if I use the accelerator pedal to hold the car at around 1000rpm for a couple of seconds it'll then hold a near perfect idle!

I've tried looking for vacuum leaks with no sucess, I've replaced the dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads and plugs.

I do suspect that the car is running rich, it smells that way and is not too clever on fuel at the moment. I was thinking about getting the car on a CO machine this weekend and dropping the oil out whilst I'm at it.

Anything else you think I should try?

Cheers

MikeM

Perhaps there could be a bit of crud somewhere, possibly a sticky needle valve or incorrect float height? If you remove the carb from the car and give it a stripdown and a clean with an airline or some carb cleaner then maybe youll sort the problem. Doesnt take much crud in a carb to unsettle it.

My Xs did this a couple of times and I just removed the carb and gave it a good clean and all was well.

Cheers

tdr_1976

Could be a sticky float needle, and it's causing it to over fuel.

I regularly blast carb cleaner through mine at fairly high revs to make sure every bit of crud is flushed out.

magicmopman

I've run quite a lot of carb cleaner through the old girl, enough to smog out the main road outside my house anyway! Even the finest of Italian tune-ups hasn't seemed to have helped.. it's time I stopped being a girl about it and looked into the guts of the carb. Thanks for your help guys.

Edited by magicmopman

tdr_1976

It sounds like it needs a full service matey! Pop into your local Peugeot dealer for a service kit!

magicmopman

^^ Great find, thanks matey

jonXS

^^ Great find, thanks matey

no problem, got the info from a psooc member