• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
arwel

Loss Of Drive And Oil Out Of Box

arwel

We fitted a box to the rally car thursday, it has a Quaife LSD and is all apparently rebuilt less than 200 miles ago but has sat on a shelf for 2 years unitll now. Basically we fitted it and put fresh oil in it and I drove it for the first time earlier. Managed to do about 3 miles before it lost drive. Pulled over and tried selecting 1st and we had drive again. However it was pouring gearbox oil out from driver side shaft where it goes into the box.

Any idea what would have caused this?? Possible the shaft was nt sitting right in the first place and has taken the seal out hence the temp lack of drive and oil loss?

There is no play at all in the shaft either if that helps or confuses the situation even more.

Cheers

Arwel

welshpug

hockey stick bolts not done up?

arwel

I suppose its a possibility.. think I ll have a good look at it all tomorrow and see if anything stands out. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions or had experienced something similar

Paul_13

I had the intermediate driveshaft bearing collar dislodge itself off the shaft and the splines popped out the box.

welshpug

had a carrier with a lot of corrosion before where the bearing wouldn't seat even though the hockey sticks were tight as I dared, that leaked too though seemed to hold drive ok, obviously want engaging many as it went in a good 5mm.

arwel

hockey stick bolts not done up?

10 points to Welshpug.

Got underneath it this morning to find they were in exactly the same position as they were when I took the old box out. :blush:

Put them back in place and did them up, re fill box and away we go. 6 mile test up the Black Mountain done and all is good. Quaife LSD and a 1.6 box, what a difference. :D

Sign in to follow this