• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stu8v

Which Engine Mounts Do I Require To Fit My Vts Engine?

stu8v

Tried searching but no joy...

Went to fit the engine tonight but it doesnt go near with the std vts mounts?

Can I fit the mi16 mounts?

For a so-called bolt in conversion its turning out to be a right pain in the ar5e.

No doubt a load more expense :angry: :angry:

If it makes a difference I'm using the std 1.6 gti box.

Cheers for any help. I'm getting close to calling it quits.......

Anthony

The top engine mount arm needs swapping if you're using a Phase 2 VTS engine - use the arm from a GTi-6, Phase 1 VTS or other cars that use the same part. The rear engine mount and the gearbox mount are fine and don't need changing (although I would strongly suggest an uprated rubber mount in the rear engine mount to stop excess movement)

Alastairh

If you need a phase 1 vts / 306 mount let me know. I have a few. Be warned about an ebay seller selling a 306 mount which by the picture is clearly not.

Al

stu8v

MMMmm

Yeah its a Ph2 engine.

Cheers for the info looks like I'm after a gti6 mount then.

Are the mi16 front mounts compatable?

Pics of what I have

2012-05-29215355.jpg

2012-05-29215403.jpg

If you need a phase 1 vts / 306 mount let me know. I have a few. Be warned about an ebay seller selling a 306 mount which by the picture is clearly not.

Al

Send me a price cheers

Stu

Anthony

Yes, that's the wrong mount and as you've found, makes the engine sit too far back. The correct mount looks like this:

IMG_5147.sized.jpg

1.9 Mi16 mounts will not fit, but the arm from a 2.0 Mi16/S16 is the same as what you need.

While you're at it, you might want to have a look on my Jalopy thread to check that you've swapped over the other parts that are different on the Phase 2 VTS engine, as there's a few bits that aren't obvious at a glance and will cause you issues later.

stu8v

Yes, that's the wrong mount and as you've found, makes the engine sit too far back. The correct mount looks like this:

IMG_5147.sized.jpg

1.9 Mi16 mounts will not fit, but the arm from a 2.0 Mi16/S16 is the same as what you need.

While you're at it, you might want to have a look on my Jalopy thread to check that you've swapped over the other parts that are different on the Phase 2 VTS engine, as there's a few bits that aren't obvious at a glance and will cause you issues later.

Thanks, I will do.

Hopefully this will be the last hurdle, given that it will have bespoke wiring and aftermarket management.

welshpug

arm from many an XU7 will do the trick as well as the 2.0 MI16, and many iron block 8 valvers.

Anthony

Hopefully this will be the last hurdle, given that it will have bespoke wiring and aftermarket management.

That makes things more straight forward, as most of the bits that need changing are related to using standard management from a GTi-6 or Phase 1 VTS and thus won't apply to you.

Miles

If using a Xsara box you need to swap the stud over, or it will wobble in the gearbox mount

stu8v

If using a Xsara box you need to swap the stud over, or it will wobble in the gearbox mount

I'm using the 1.6 box as I think it should be better for track work.

Sign in to follow this