• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
fliprio

Gti-6 Engine Number Location

fliprio

I know this has been asked a few times, but I am trying to find the engine number on my GTI-6 lump as the insurance company want it because the engine has been changed.

I have attached a picture which is just below the starter to the right of the oil filter - is this supposed to be where it is? is it on a plate or stamped onto the block as it doesnt look like anything is there? Is it anywhere else that I can check?

Any ideas what type of number im after, the logbook states a number begining 1CW6, the conversion was done before I purchaced it so I have no idea if this is the orginal number or the new gti-6 engine number.

Thanks in advance

post-16234-0-63843600-1338316357_thumb.jpg

welshpug

that's where it is stamped, good luck trying to read it though, most have gone pretty rusty and hence illegible, no idea what it will be though, best bet if you really need it is to check the v5 of the donor vehicle, or just make it up.

fliprio

cheers Welshpug

so it is stamped on there and not a plate? I will try some emery paper and chalk to see if I can see it.

The isurance company were being realy difficult about it, saying it will be checked in the event of a claim etc to make sure its the engine I have said it is.

No donor vehicle unfortunantly, the conversion was done years ago and over 2 oweners ago so finding where it came from will be difficult

chipstick

I've got a few numbers here if you want a random combination creating.

It's stamped and raised lettering. As mentioned, you will do well to find it. I was lucky with mine to have a low mileage and fairly clean block so it was easily visible.

welshpug

tbh they wont be able to tell from a random series of numbers what the engine is, so I doubt it matters!

I'd go elsewhere.

fliprio

tbh they wont be able to tell from a random series of numbers what the engine is, so I doubt it matters!

I'd go elsewhere.

unfortunantly I have already taken the policy out and they will keep their £30 admin fee if I cancel within the first week.

Miles

Just make it up, say 547712, as said 99% of them have long rusted away and any good insurance asser will know that, the early 8v ones washed off

chipstick

HGY57545632

fliprio

HGY57545632

lol random number generator being used again

it seems luck was on my side, a wire brush on the end of the dremel and it cleaned up nicely so the camera could get the whole number

The odd thing is the symbol at the start of the number on the bottom, I would assume its a zero, but looks different to the zeros to the right, the same symbol is at the end of the numbers as well, any ideas if they are supposed to be numbers?

post-16234-0-75689900-1338322161_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this