• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cocopops2001

Some Exhaust Advice Please

cocopops2001

I saw this item on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-205-GTi-1-6-1-9-Rear-Exhaust-Back-Box-Silencer-Magnex-SS-1984-1992-NC-/230797183278?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3A205&hash=item35bc95892e

and was thinking of buying it.

I have a more or less bog standard 1.6CTi. When I check the compatibilty it says it won't fit my car but will fit the 1.6GTi.

Forgive my ignorance but arent they the same car underneath with the same engine? Or is the chassis a bit different in places?

Will it fit?

welshpug

I think that is intended to be used with a magnex centre section.

Cameron

Same floorpan, same engine, missing a roof. ;)

Anthony

I think that is intended to be used with a magnex centre section.

This.

The Magnex that is designed to be used as a standalone backbox mated to a regular center section is quite different to that, having an olive type join just before the silencer (on Phase 2 systems - I imagine there's an equivilent for earlier cars).

That one looks very similar to the Magnex that I've got that is part of the full system, and would not join to a standard center section without being cut and welded at a minimum.

As Cameron says, there is no difference in exhaust fitment between a CTi and GTi of the same age - pre-1990 cars use a sleeve fit system, and later cars an olive fit system. I think that the silencer on the late 1.9 CTi's was a different part number, but still the same fitment

welshpug

later 1.9 cti's had cat engines hence the different silencers.

cocopops2001

I have agreed to purchase a magnex manifold from someone on here but they did not have the rest of the system hence why I was looking at this. Would it be a problem getting a centre section made up? Even better if anyone knows a magnex centre n backbox for sale?

Everytime I look at the ads it seems someone gets in there before I get a chance.

Anthony

I've got a stainless Magnex mid-pipe and rear section available that joins to the Magnex 4-branch manifold

The mid-pipe has had a welded repair where the pipe joins the silencer as I put a hairline crack in the existing weld when I removed it from the car, but otherwise it's in good condition and hasn't been bent and scraped like most have over the years. I don't have a picture of the exhaust off the car to hand, but it can be seen fitted in this photo

cocopops2001

Are you selling it? If so, what sort of price you looking for?

Anthony

I'd need to weigh and measure it before confirming the total, but if I said £75 plus postage would that be reasonable?

That's the mid-pipe (with silencer) and backbox, which combined with the Magnex 4 branch you're buying elsewhere forms the complete exhaust system from the engine back.

cocopops2001

Yeah that sounds reasonable, depending on the postage cost.

Send me a PM with the total costs when you know them and we can sort it from there.

Cheers

EDIT: I assume the welded repair keeps the exhaust gas in the system where it is meant to be?

Edited by cocopops2001

Anthony

Yeah that sounds reasonable, depending on the postage cost.

Send me a PM with the total costs when you know them and we can sort it from there.

Cheers

EDIT: I assume the welded repair keeps the exhaust gas in the system where it is meant to be?

I'll be in contact this evening :)

The repair was basically just re-welding the original weld where the pipe joins the middle silencer, and thus yes, will be gas tight and not have any effect on the operation or fitment of the system.

cocopops2001

got your PM and replied. Might be a silly Q but will I need to find a special gasket or will the standard one from any good motor factors do?

Anthony

You'll need a replacement gasket between the manifold and the head, but that's just a standard one.

There is no gasket between the manifold and mid-pipe, or the mid-pipe and backbox - it's just a sleeve fit joint, so just slide it togeter with a bit of exhaust assembly paste and fit and tighten the exhaust clamp.

cocopops2001

I thought so but was just making sure. Cheers for your advice

Sign in to follow this