• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DanRM

1.6 Not Starting, Spark And Fuel Present

DanRM

Hi, I had the Head Gasket done about 2 weeks ago and the other day the temperature gauge packed up. I tried to see what the fault was as disconnected the clip from the sensor and earthed it, Nothing. traced the wire back to the brown plug and just made sure that it was fully home. And the gauge still doesn't work

Anyway I put it all back together and went to start the car and it wont start, its turning over but not firing. Jumped it and no luck.

I've tested the plug leads and there's a strong spark there. and fuel is pressured in the filter.

I've put a spare Ignition coil and module on and still not firing up

Is there any wiring I could have knocked that would affect starting or did it happen to be a coincidence?

Any help or ideas?

Thanks

welshpug

are the injectors receiving 12v and the earthing signal from the ecu?

DanRM

I'll have a look when Im back. There was a little black connector coming from the ignition module loom in a black wrap with a greenish wire in it. This was disconnected but i cant see anywhere it was. is this anything to worry about or just another random lead

welshpug

3 pin connector? that'll be the distributor to amp signal lead so without that connected I haven't a bloody clue how you were getting a spark?! :lol:

Carbs4me

AFM pluged in? i always forget to plug it back in!

DanRM

No its a single pin black connector on the drivers side, hanging next to the ignition module. Not too worried about that as chances are its another useless wire

Yeah the AFM is plugged in. Got it started last night I think it wouldn't start due to a loose connection on the Temp sensor if I'm right (green connector under dizzy). Now the car starts and drives ok but after 3mins or so on idle it dies and stalls.

Is this to do with that loose connection?

S@m

When it does start and idle (for a few mins as you say) try giving any suspect connectors a bit of a wiggle and see if it cuts out. At least that will narrow down where the dodgy connection is (provided there is one) and then you can get it sorted.

Sam

DanRM

Sorry its the blue plug, not green. Anyway I've gave them a wiggle and hasn't cut out, but I changed the connector so hopefully its not the connection itself. I've just drove into town and ordered a new sensor, the car ran fine and idled a little jumpy around 1000-1500rpm at the junctions and in traffic. Got home and left it running on the drive and it lasted about 4mins before it started struggling and cut out within 5. unless I dap the throttle up to about 4000rpm which it then idles does the same again

DrSarty

When you say 'temp sensor', there are actually 3. 1 for oil temp and then 2 for coolant temp.

1 of the coolant temp sensors is purely for the guage on the dash, but the other is essential and probably the one you're talking about, as it provides the ECU with the coolant/engine temp it needs for fuel and ignition calculations.

If this sensor isn't plugged in right or is faulty (rare), it will naturally effect how the engine runs.

DanRM

When you say 'temp sensor', there are actually 3. 1 for oil temp and then 2 for coolant temp.

1 of the coolant temp sensors is purely for the guage on the dash, but the other is essential and probably the one you're talking about, as it provides the ECU with the coolant/engine temp it needs for fuel and ignition calculations.

If this sensor isn't plugged in right or is faulty (rare), it will naturally effect how the engine runs.

I've changed the coolant sensor for the ECU this morning, it runs a little better on idle.

With the coolant gauge sensor is this one behind the Distributor on the back of the engine? If so, there are two connectors there, i'm guessing one is the gauge and the other the warning light? (looking face on to the back of the engine on the left, a yellow wire with a black connector, and slightly above to the right red wire with red connector) which is which and does the wiring sound the right way round?

About the idling I'm going to get some carb cleaner in the morning and clean the TB, AFM and idle screw to see if that helps. If not I'm going to send it to a garage and see if they can do something

Thanks

Edited by DanRM

Sign in to follow this