• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tony55781

[misc_work] My New '89 Gti

tony55781

Hi all!

Not long now had my pug, bought it completely as on impulse as it was for sale at a mates garage, and the fact that ive always wanted one!

its an 89 F reg, i bought it off an old dear who had owned it for 14yrs! body has done 190k, but engine was replaced for one with only 60k.

I dont think there was a straight panel or un curbbed alloy on the entire car. Plus it wouldnt idle, or start, and every time it was warm it would randomly cut out

So not really a good start!

Youll have to excuse the pics as they are only off my phone.

MiniGibbo

Sounds like a project and a half lol..

Pictures..?

tony55781

just tryin to sort them out now.

tony55781

The bonnet and front wings have about 20 small dinks in them which you cant see from the pic, the lady told me they were done by a couple tiles fell off the roof.

post-21566-0-47003900-1337716848_thumb.jpg

just managed to limp it into work with all the running issues and no fuel!!

tony55781

the cdl wasnt working, the sun roof leaked, none of the interior lights worked, headlights were both chipped and you could move the rear wiper up and down with out it being on?!

post-21566-0-53884500-1337717264_thumb.jpg

On the plus side though the interior wasnt in too bad a condition.

tony55781

So first of all the dents were taken out. Luckily we have a good relationship with a dent company down the road from my work and he did both front wings, both rears, and the passenger door for £100!

Before

post-21566-0-85168400-1337717486_thumb.jpg

post-21566-0-63478500-1337717509_thumb.jpg

sensualt101

looks a sound base car though! nice looking in black and you just know you are gonna have fun putting everything right :)

nice to see another is gonna be saved and used!

tony55781

you cant really see on the second pic but there is about 7 dents all in that area!

tony55781

After

post-21566-0-14060300-1337717634_thumb.jpg

post-21566-0-40172900-1337717647_thumb.jpg

sensualt101

your dent man did a fine job by the looks of it? :)

tony55781

Next on the ajenda was to sort out the brakes, as they didnt work!

the osf caliper was siezed solid, and so was the osr!

while the wheel was off i changed the solid water pipe that can be seen as it was rusty and seeping!

post-21566-0-79097000-1337717780_thumb.jpg

tony55781

your dent man did a fine job by the looks of it? :)

yes he did a brilliant job considering how much he had to do and how relatively little he charged.

tony55781

Next came the rest of the body work, drivers door was replaced, boot lid had gone grey and had cracks spreading out from the wiper and washer nozel holes.

post-21566-0-66726500-1337718064_thumb.jpg

post-21566-0-68242700-1337718077_thumb.jpg

Had both the front wings blown in, bonnet skimmed and re painted, drivers door skimmed and painted, and the bootlid re painted. Then finally it all mopped.

tony55781

next i decided to try something, everyones opinions would be apreciated on what you all think!!

post-21566-0-84784000-1337718291_thumb.jpg

standard orang indicators were re fitted along with some yellow driving lamps!

What do people think?

tony55781

decided the next sensible thing to do would be to service it, and sort out the running issues.

oil, oil filter, air, fuel filter were changed, along with the SAD, spark plugs, dizzy and arm.

the AF meter was removed, cleaned and set up properly on the gas analiser at work.

finally on the running side i checked the timing only to find that none of the marks matched up to what it said on autodata, so im guessing that its had a clutch and fly wheel at some point and either the dowels are missing, its a cheap copy one,or its not been fitted correctly?!

So did the best guestimate by setting TDC, then advancing it a little, going for a drive and repeating the process.

tony55781

The wheels are away being referbished this week, new red GTi badge and centre caps have arrived, and new seals fitted to the sun roof.

when the wheels are back, next on the list are CDL, and tax so i can enjoy it over the summer!! :D

sensualt101

well my honest opinion on yellow headlamps is no No NO! but is all up to personal taste as always lol!

yellow tinted driving lamps however i quite like :)

tony55781

yea its been a 50/50 reaction at work with them. People like the retro feel of the yellow but others dont like it!

tony55781

Hi all!

Not long now had my pug, bought it completely as on impulse as it was for sale at a mates garage, and the fact that ive always wanted one!

its an 89 F reg, i bought it off an old dear who had owned it for 14yrs! body has done 190k, but engine was replaced for one with only 60k.

I dont think there was a straight panel or un curbbed alloy on the entire car. Plus it wouldnt idle, or start, and every time it was warm it would randomly cut out

So not really a good start!

Youll have to excuse the pics as they are only off my phone.

Idiot!!!!! sorry its a G reg!!!

sensualt101

its a phase 1.5 so you have put the indicator lenses right by being orange again but you havent said what engine size your car is?

i have assumed because of the wheels its a 1.9 though.......am i right? lol!

tony55781

yes it is a 1.9. :blink:

tony55781

well my honest opinion on yellow headlamps is no No NO! but is all up to personal taste as always lol!

yellow tinted driving lamps however i quite like :)

i have a set of the yellow, and a set of clear headlamps on the way from Anthony so can swap and change as and when.

BlueBolt

I kinda like the yellow, yellow driving lamps would be too much with the headlamps too.

Definitely yellow driving lamps, I'm looking for a set soon...!!

tony55781

Waiting for alloys to come back from re firb on Fri!

post-21566-0-61089100-1337762398_thumb.jpg

tony55781

And the Nortel job I have had to do as the air pipe was split and had just been taped up by previous owner!

post-21566-0-68044700-1337762570_thumb.jpg