• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nath88n

Gti-6 Real Power Figures

Nath88n

So I know that the GTI-6 engine is rated at 167bhp on the books but what does a healthy engine make on the rollers?

Do you think there is a difference from 306 to 205?

harryskid

Theres plenty of that on here if you care to look !

Anthony

Far too many variations to say what a "decent" one should give on the rollers, not least of all the extremely questionable accuracy of the rollers themselves.

As above though, there's plenty of RR graphs out there for you to have a look at and make your own mind up.

With a half-decent exhaust system there's no reason why the engine would give lower figures in a 205 than a 306/Xsara though, especially when typically the 205 install doesn't have the CAT. I don't mean anything fancy exhaust wise, just a decent standard system with the correct bore properly adapted to fit, rather than a decade old cheap pattern piece of c**p that would restrict even a standard 8v...

Strictly_Derv

What I've always wondered is that the 306 GTI with the 6 box which is said to be perfectly suited to the engine. Now having it mated to a 5 speed 205 box vlike many on here limit it's potential then say if it where mated to a 306 6 speed box? Obviously a 205 weighs much less ect.

Paul_13

5 Speed box is much better ;)

Mine made about 163 on the rollers but had a big leaf in the air filter, not sure if it made much difference. But since then I have moved the air filter so it's straight on the end of the throttle body, feels much more responsive

Anthony

It was only the 306 that had 6 gears - the Xsara VTS and the ZX Dakar (same engine) both had 5 speed 'boxes are are none the worse for it - it's a fairly torquey engine with a wide powerband after all. Once you lose all the lard and put the engine in a 205, a 5 speed 'box isn't an issue at all and certainly in a 205 makes for a better package (IMO) due to the steering lock constraints of the 6 speed.

The longer final drive on early 306's meant that 6th was really a cruising gear anyway.

Strictly_Derv

Ahh I see, I was under the impression it was a close ratio box. I did drive my sisters GTI-6 and found it abit long in the tooth and a tad sluggish lugging round all that weight but I'm used to a modded XUD in a light car :lol:

Edited by Strictly_Derv

Paul_13

306 Rallye feels slow, driving my mates one again earlier. Sluggish, lathargic

In standard form.

Edited by Paul_13

dcc
Please-dont-feed-the-trolls.jpg Edited by dcc

allye

I have wondered if removing the cat/PAS/aircon makes any difference at all?

MiniGibbo

Should rev quicker of nothing else..

Paul_13

I feel my 205 revs a hell of a lot quicker than the 306 rallye.

• Like 1

cheesegrater

But you do have a billet flywheel....

Paul_13

and no Aircon or PAS

The Rallye I was driving have a billet flywheel however

Edited by Paul_13

welshpug

and 200 kilos lower kerb weight. :lol:

sherlock + no s*it springs to mind :P

CosKev

On a rolling road day we did the power ranged from 154bhp(IIRC) upto 180bhp(which was mine ;) ) all on standard injection/ECU's.

Mine has a modded airbox/snorkel,Magnex de-cat and system,and a recent head re-build/de-coke etc.

Nath88n

Thanks for all the (mostly) helpful replys, interesting to know and good to get a few diffrent views.

wicked

Aircon and PAS eat power. The engine makes same power, but not all power ends up at the wheels.

That's the reason that they nowadays make PAS electric; then it only eats power if PAS is needed (@ low speed and low revs) and saves some grams of CO2. Same goes for the water pump.

Sign in to follow this