• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dirtdog

Tom Fentons Lowering Bracket

dirtdog

A few questions I can't find in a search. Yes there are pictures but a picture isn't good enough for a change

How much lower does the top of a radiator sit?..(hoping someone has lowered a TD rad' really)

The cross member/ slam panel/ bonnet catch panel part...have heard in other topics (Baz said IRRC) that without the fan cowling that the bonnet won't shut properly.(Amongst other problems?) Mines bad enough already and don't want to aggravate it anymore. What have people done here instead of fitting aerocatchs/ bonnet pins? It's something i'd rather not have to do.

allanallen

Have you asked Tom? He's a grumpy twat at times but I'm sure he'll be able to help ;)

• Like 5

dirtdog

Lol.

I'm hoping he could answer here..and so can other people who have bought and used one....hopefully on a TD rad ;)

M@tt

at times ?? ;)

• Like 2

welshpug

diesel rads are like the gti, but a little thicker, so the principle of any mod would be the same.

allye

diesel rads are like the gti, but a little thicker, so the principle of any mod would be the same.

But TD ones are like twice the size! It lowers as much as you want as you can decide where to mount it, I used some holes that were handerly already there.

Reference the bonnet closure problem, people have added metal bars that run from where the radiator (originally) sits on to the slam panel to add strength which works fine but may get in the way of fan etc.

Not sure what XU you're mounting this with but with my 6' engine there is fook all space inbetween the radiator and gearbox, infact I've actually grinded some meat off for extra clearance.

Simes

2756246140056984843S500x500Q85.jpg

I put the rad bracket in the lowest position possible.

The rad is then tilted and is around 30mm from the top of the bumper.

It can go lower but you'll not get the grill back in.

I've refitted the slam panel but use aero-catches as the striker is no use due to the fact the slam panel and OE rad & cowling add the support.

2516077870056984843S500x500Q85.jpg

BlueBolt

VERY nice looking that!!!

Rather than hijacking the thread I'm sending you a PM lol

SurGie

For a cheap fix, use a bit of scrap steel and 'L' shape it the right size you need it lowering, then paint them.

• Like 1

Henry Yorke

For a real cheap and dirty fix, ditch the entire cowl and there are two holes on the bottom of the front cross member that you can bolt brackets onto to hold the rad

post-3457-0-61625900-1337032517_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

SurGie

But then you might have to go and buy/get a slimline fan for that set up, although its the same basic idea.

BlueBolt

Just wondering how people get on with this with the '6 engine?

There's really not much room to push the rad back at all, so the tilting bottom end back is a bit of a problem...

Can anyone post up pics to show how they've gone about it?? I have heard that part of the 'box needs to be ground back a bit to allow room... Ideally I'd rather not be doin this, but if the need is there I will.

I'm wanting to lower the rad enough to put in a nice tidy ally plate to allow cool air to feed my trumpet filter as done on Simes' built...

allye

Right, just taking my radiator out due to a leak and though it would be a good chance to grab some photos. I used holes already present in the little towing eye type things. Also note my bracket is slightly bent due to having a fight with a field in a previous car -_-

IMG_20120530_194208.jpg

IMG_20120530_194215.jpg

IMG_20120530_194201.jpg

As you can see there isn't much room and I've grinded some metal back, even so this is the reason for a hole in my radiator so some jiggling about will be needed

IMG_20120530_194254.jpg

IMG_20120530_194241.jpg

I will add a photo of how low the radiator sits when I put it back in. :D

laldy875

so I take it you used a different hose from thermostat housing to radiator top? BBM would be too short right?

allye

No, I used the BBM item.

allanallen

Bbm one fits fine, in fact I seem to think I ended up putting mine on the wrong way round as it fitted better that way.

laldy875

Cheers, that should also help lack of space for air filter problem

BlueBolt

My god that is close!!! I'll have a play around at some point and see what's what before I put my order in.

Thank you all for the replies and pictures!! :)

Miles

Just tagged you on a pic to see what I do with the Rad's

BlueBolt

Just tagged you on a pic to see what I do with the Rad's

Just seen it...

Cameron

Wow.. those brackets sit quite far back! I guess that's the problem when you need to leave the lower crossmember in. Mine sat right forwards so the fan motor was about 5mm from the back of the bumper, there was tonnes of clearance behind it then! If I'd have mounted the fan on the rear of the rad (which is more efficient anyway) then it would have been even better. :)

Tom Fenton

To answer a few points

These brackets were designed to fit with an 8v or Mi engine, picking up on the two "ears" on the front panel each side, which are the lowest point of the original shell steelwork. They are made with the intention to be a bolt on part with minimal need to cut and carve the shell for both ease of fitment for people who are not that confident cutting their car, and also to keep the possibility of returning to original in future if reqd. The radiator is intended to then lean forward away from the engine, however people have now used these brackets in a few different ways to suit their application.

I have used them to fit both standard and Turbo diesel rads in the front of my cars, one with the fan in front and the rad leaning at an angle, one with the turbo diesel rad stood upright, with intercooler in front and fan on the engine side.

They are tight on a GTI 6 engined car due to the pointless "wing" on the sump/block that sticks out, people have still successfully fitted them with some trimming.

Anton green

I am just about to move my rad to make room for a cosworth intercooler, could I have a look-see pls?

chipstick

Just a question out of curiosity, have people retained the existing fan and cowling with lowering brackets?

I understand the grill will need to be fixed in a different way with the locating holes being dropped, but wondered if the angle that these brackets gave would render the cowling unusable.

laldy875

Just a question out of curiosity, have people retained the existing fan and cowling with lowering brackets?

I understand the grill will need to be fixed in a different way with the locating holes being dropped, but wondered if the angle that these brackets gave would render the cowling unusable.

that's what I was about to ask- is it possible to fit a lower rad bracket with rad with original fan cowling, with a trimmed down 6 engine?

Edited by laldy875

Sign in to follow this