• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sinbad

Morning all,well my gti is almost done bar bleeding the brakes and refitting the front bumper.

I am going to book it in for mot next week,however i am slightly concerned about the emissions side of things,its a newly rebuilt engine so i am worried they will rev the bollox off it when testing it?

The places where i normally go just say "leave it and we ring when its done"-i swear their testers must be part time or summat??!!

Also the emissions test itself-what would cause it to fail??

The car in question is a standard 1.6 Gti 1989

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

pugdamo

There tested on idle but the analyser i use goes through a purging phase which you have to rev the engine to 2500rpm for 15 seconds and then leave it on idle for 15seconds and that is when the measurement is taken.Although i cant say they arnt going to prat about in it if you leave,if your that worried just take it somewhere you can wait with it

• Like 1

Sinbad

Thanks mate,as you can imagine i have alot of money and time in this so i want it in safe hands.

The emissions test doesnt sound too bad then,2500 is nowt really is it?

MiniGibbo

Dont know the truth behind it but the guys who mot my cars told me they cant put a car wit han LSD on brake rollers so have to manually test the brakes on my car out on the road..

What ive noticed is they also dont go alone the tester always takes another lad with him -_-

Thanks mate,as you can imagine i have alot of money and time in this so i want it in safe hands.

The emissions test doesnt sound too bad then,2500 is nowt really is it?

Most new engines are advised not to be taken over 3000rpm, so 2500 will be fine.

Edited by MiniGibbo

welshpug

Your best bet is to take the long route to the MOT station, if built well they don't take long at all to run in, stress to the tester that it is a fresh engine and hopefully they'll look after it just fine.

What could cause it to fail an emissions test?

A number of things though not an exhaustive list and could be a single item or a combination of things, ecu temperature sender, AFM, poor setup of AFM, throttle switch, poor throttle initial settings, air leak through SAD pipework, Air leak through oil breathers or inlet manifold.

if you haven't yet done so have a read through the haynes manual and set the throttle, then throttle switch etc, when you take the car in ask them to check the emissions firstly, you may have to pay a little extra for their labour but it'll ensure you wont have a wasted MOT test fee.

Dont know the truth behind it but the guys who mot my cars told me they cant put a car wit han LSD on brake rollers so have to manually test the brakes on my car out on the road..

That is quite correct for proper LSD's, not sure how an ATB like a quaife handle it as they don't lock as such, though not sure why you bring that up as the OP has a standard 1.6 :lol:

• Like 1

Sinbad

Thanks fellas,will have to have a look at the haynes for setting the throttle and switch.

allye

as its an 89' car, they usually test it, look at the results. Say, 'oh thats nice' and its a pass :lol:

An old XS I had had been laid up for a while, stank the mot station out with the smell of petrol to the point they turned it off and it was still a pass!!! :lol:

Liquid_106

Considering the time, effort & expense that you've put into this, I wouldn't let it out my sight. If they have issue with you being there while it's tested, they obviously don't want your money ;)

Anyway, good luck - hope it sails through :)

Sinbad

Thanks mate,i'll have to update my wip when its all done,spare time just seems so out of reach these days,running a business,being a father to 2 kids and doing "house" things means clowning around in the garage etc is rare lol

Paul_13

I think Tom Fenton LSD diff blew up on the brake tester IIRC. So definitely get them to road test it!

Edited by Paul_13

welshpug

I think Tom Fenton LSD diff blew up on the brake tester IIRC. So definitely get them to road test it!

you know the car is a standard 1.6 right? :lol:

Paul_13

:lol:

My mind may be playing silly buggers, but somebody went on the brake testers and the Quaife(?) diff blew up.

welshpug

no, not Tom's, the OP's....

Tom;s was a plate diff.

Paul_13

Got there in the end

pugdamo

I wouldn't let it out my sight. If they have issue with you being there while it's tested, they obviously don't want your money ;)

All MOT stations have to provide customer viewing areas,so if they say you cant watch i WOULD be concerned,the garage i work in changed sites and when we moved the new site was pretty much a building site but we still had to have a clear area so someone could watch if they wanted,they didnt stay long when the builders were chiseling up the floors

eastlondonpug

They damaged my brakes on my last MOT. Brakes have a slight scraping type noise now even without pressing it. I think they were harsh on it on the rollers. Always keep a sharp eye on what they are upto..

Sign in to follow this