• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joed66

1.4 Upraded Cams

joed66

hello i am very close to getting a 1.4i rallye but just found out the are 75hp not the 102 that i thought :(

so i am wanting to get it as close as possible to the 102 of the 1300 rallye.

my plans are to run yzf600 carbs, a full exhaust system and a cam.

however i cant find cams for the 1400 engine. can only fine them for the gti or the 1300 engine.

does the 1.3 cams fit the 1.4 and if i put a race cam in for a 1.3 will it give a power increase to the 1.4

i have found some cams for the 1.3 if they fit what would be the best power gain.

also i just want to put the cam in and run it dont want any more engine work to make the cam fit.

allye

indeed the the UK Rallye came with a iron block single carb engine where as the euro Rallye's came with a aly block twin carb engine with ~105hp (?)

Your easiest and by far cheapest option would but to put a 1.3i engine from a 106 Rallye in it, check out minigibbo's Rallye as it has this exact conversion.

MiniGibbo

I was going to say, from all reports it seems you may as well throw the original engine ib the bin and fit the injection engine.. Ali however beat me to it lol..

Youll need a injection tank to fit the engine though.

Wallby

I have an autosprint 280 cam for this engine if your interested. Won't be as good as the 106 engine but better than standard!

calvinhorse

The 1.3 205 Rallye cam will go in your head and give you a power increase

you'll struggle to find one tho..

The 106 1.3 Rallye cam may have larger bearing so not sure if this fits

Like others have said the 106 1300 Rallye engine and injection system would be a good conversion, trying to find space for bike carbs and a good filter in a 205 is a pain, plus it's not the most straight forward conversion

Why do you only want 102bhp? It won't be overly impressive and not really worth the effort in my opinion.

• Like 1

Tandoh

I've got a s1 Rallye head with can for sale :)

macaroni

If you do want a cam, try www.catcams.be.

joed66

hello all didnt end up getting the rallye got an XS instead. i dont want injection i want carbs i prefer them.

i want a cam for it. but not sure what size to get i was thinking a 285.

how much do you want for you 280 cam and does it make the engine tick over lumpy (i want it to makes people think whats under the bonnet)

i have a problem with my engine at the moment it struggles to start and when hot tries to cut out when at idle. it had an air filter on it i have taken off and the hoses from the intake manifold an rocker box have been removed. (not by me but i getting new ones in a few days)

not realy sure what is making it do this any ideas?

MiniGibbo

If you had injection it would start first time and idle fine ;)

joed66

na realy dont like injection. prefer the response, sound and drive of a carb. it will run fine once i have it set up corectly looking at it today i think the dizzy is out the lad i bought it off said he was just a play about mechanic so he could have took it off and not put it back properly.

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

Strange you prefer carb.

It is at the end of the day crude, harder to balance and ultimately crap lol..

joed66

its my opinion. there so crap yet a lot of people convert the gti to carbs a bit strange if there crude hmm. i want to run a cam aswell and i know you get better responce from carbs then injection with a cam.

MiniGibbo

Just baffles me why some people want to "dumb down" their cars with our dated tech.

Injection is the evolution of carbs and a proven better system is all I'm saying.

There was a good write up track driver where they compared bike carbs to throttle bodies and IMO is a very informative read.

joed66

yes i agree when your looking at tracking and high performance but throttle bodies are ALOT more expensive then bike carbs. i only want it for a bit more poke as its my daily driver i bought an old car for the tech on it if i wanted all the injection,abs,powered steering all that sh!t i would of kept my polo lol.

i realy like old tech i think its better. this new tech is all computors not proper cars. i bought my xs so i could feel the road through the steering wheel and throttle pedal in my opinion i bought a proper drivers car.

Lan

Strange you prefer carb.

It is at the end of the day crude, harder to balance and ultimately crap lol..

what a blanket statement, carbs are not crap, although if there not setup well they will perform like crap, I wouldn't think about using bike carbs though as they will be more hassle than there worth, Injection certainly has its benefits (fuel economy, quicker engine warmup, generally more reliable) and they are easier to setup for people who have limited carb experience and on the "out dated tech" the injection for 205/106 era is hardly cutting edge stuff

but carbs are nice because they are what originally came on the vehicle and when setup properly and assuming internally there in good condition they run perfectly fine I use my xs with its carb everyday with no issues.

as I said though bike carbs are a waste of time if you want to upgrade your carb you're going to have to bite the bullet and buy some proper carbs i.e. weber dcoe's as they will be far superior to bike carbs and there are plenty of people who can set them up to suit. but then you've got to weigh up the cost difference with throttle bodies which will obviously be maintenance free in comparison.

joed66

i have voted on keeping my solex as i love the second chamber. my problem is that my carb is broke and all warn and cant be set up to opporate correctly so need a new one. can you still buy them new?

allye

Carbs sound cool :lol: although my 6' does offer a nice induction noise.

You can buy rebuild kits from Peugeot for about £50, there is also a carb rebuild place in Manchester that will do a kit for £40ish delivered, a friend recently got the kit but never used it (I bought the car and sold the kit with the engine when I took it out) Its a pretty easy carb to rebuild, it was the first one I did on my original Rallye engine. After the rebuild you'll need to adjust fuel/air mixture and idle. You'll need to get your hands on a timing light as well to set up the timing cock on.

Although aftermarket air filters sounds amazing on these I suggest using a standard setup with all the correct vacume.breather hoses. Just to add to hot starting the car, its actually in the hand book that you need to have the throttle wide open when starting hot (something to do with fuel evaporation and a mechanical lift pump)

Ali

johnnyboy666
Although aftermarket air filters sounds amazing on these I suggest using a standard setup with all the correct vacume.breather hoses.

What makes you say that? these engines tend to respond quite well to bolt on mods in my experience? and the correct K&n has an uprated jet for the carb too

allye

Only because in fitting aftermarket air filters you loose a number of breather hoses.

Wallby

I have the solex carb jetted to match the cam I have forsale aswell as a k and n filter. Pm me if your interested.

Rhys

joed66

I have a spare carb but its all in bits and i dont no how to set it all back up so gonna pop down the garage tomorow and find out how good of condition its in i will buy a service kit for the car for the rebuild.

N3VRAM

I agree with allye that the original air box and hoses does help with the running, i ended up buying these as my rallye didn't have them when i bought it and it run so much 'cleaner'. Once i had all the standard stuff i put a cone filter in the original box for the nice sound.