• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205trials

Fitting Head To 8V 1.9 Gti Engine

205trials

Hi all,

I am an amateur mechanic, I do all the work on my car myself with a little help from a mate who is a proper mechanic. I recently mullered my engine and head on a classic trial. I have sourced a new engine with no head, and have had my 3 spare heads made into one good one and reconditioned it.(Ouchh, not cheap)

My question is, I have an engine and head that were not ever together and the timing was not lined up. How do is set the timing belt correctly now that they are both separate to ensure I don't have pistons hitting my nice new valves etc....

Sorry if this is a bit stupid, but I have never done this and need to get the engine back in the car for the Ilkley & District Classic Trial in 1 week.!!!! ARGHHH

Cheers

Lee

Tom Fenton

Set the crank so the pistons are all level 1/2 way up the bore. Turn the camshaft so the timing pin hole on the sprocket lines up with the head and you can get a pin in it.

That will be near enough to bolt the head on, then you can go through timing it up properly when you fit the belt.

However, before all that, have you disturbed the wet liners, if so I recommend changing the liner seals, as if they leak, you will very quickly have 5 litres of salad cream in the sump and the need to take it all to bits again to sort it.

• Like 1

205trials

Thanks Tom, wasnt expecting a reply that quickly....

I haven't done anything to the new engine other than remove the head that was on it when I got it, It was knackered. I have been ensured its in good knick, the previous owner tried to replace the head gasket himself without getting the head skimmed, which didnt work and then gave up on it. It's only done 40K and look very nice.

I'm not sure what you mean by wet seals, sorry?

Lee

Slo

Without the head on looking down on the top you can see the piston crowns inside the cylinders. The cylinders are actually liners, if you pull them they will actually come out. At the bottom they are recessed into the bottom of the actual engine block. Now since the liners are surrounded by coolant and the crankshaft and pistons etc are surrounded by oil, there are seals between these to keep the liquids seperate. Taking off a head, especially if you just pull it off by levering it up will almost certainly pull the liners out of the recess's and will disturb the seals. When you put the head back on the coolant will drain into the sump hence a lovely salad cream mess.

omega

the pistons go up and down in liners,at the bottom of the liners there are seals if they have been disturbed they will not seal and leak.

as above!

must type faster

Edited by omega

205trials

Cheers all, much appreciated...... :)

Just waiting for my Power steering rack to arrive. Bought one off ebay about 5 months ago and didn't realise it was missing the ram, so I have had to buy another one. Ideally wan to fit this before the engine goes in as it should be a lot easier from the engine bay rather than under the car.

Will report back soon.

Lee

Sign in to follow this