• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonny6

Your Views On A Few Cars Please .

jonny6

im basically after your views , experiences , ownership pros and cons of a few cars im interested in .

The first is a 306 rallye . second , renault clio 172 -182 and finally the clio williams .

Im gonna be using the car as a B-road blaster with the occasional visit to the track .

So what do we know ?

welshpug

They're all French rotboxes with their known faults :lol:

BlueBolt

I've no experience with the 306...

However, the Williams I can comment on... Love em!! They're great fun, nimble and I personally think they look great!!

The 172 is underpowered, not worth it and for a tiny bit extra you get the 182... Again, a fun car, but with a little bit of tampering, the Williams will keep up!! Power to weight and all that!!

If you're only after it as a fun blaster then go for the hybrid Williams, it's a valver shell (same shape as Williams) with the 2.0 lump dropped in... You'll pick one up cheaper than the Williams!!

However, the Williams did come with slightly wider track on the front!! Have a look on cliovalver.net I think it is?? My mate has a Williams replica (valver hybrid with everything changed so it's all Williams except the log book) who is on that forum and they often come up on there cheap!!

I'm a "retro" fan so I'd go for the Williams anyway on a personal note....

Anthony

Personally, I find 306's distinctly underwhelming and wouldn't choose one as a weekend toy. It's capable certainly, but in standard form it feels a bit under powered and a bit overweight/ponderous.

Clio 172/182 are nice cars to drive and probably the closest thing to a modern 205, but again, I'm not sure that I'd ever say it's a weekend toy - more in the "fun daily" category. Hateful to work on too from what little experience I've got of them, and quite a few 172's are now getting to that age/mileage where they are needing attention.

Clio Williams is very good and probably the best choice out of the three, but for Gods sake buy a decent one! My friends basketcase Mk1 Clio still gives me nightmares...

Given the criteria though, why are you limiting yourself to French hatches, particularly when you're selling a 205 that arguably meets the criteria as well as anything that you've listed? :unsure:

allye

306 rallye - very cool,always loved the the quick 306's

renault clio 172 -182 - very gay, just because they are

clio williams - super cool! Gold wheels, say no more.

I have no experience of any of them but your asked for opinions too! :D

MiniGibbo

Id lean towards the 306 tbh

I've only experienced a clio 172 and 306 hdi so am not the best person to comment lol..

jonny6

Given the criteria though, why are you limiting yourself to French hatches, particularly when you're selling a 205 that arguably meets the criteria as well as anything that you've listed? :unsure:

my 205 is no country lane car Ant , far too stiff , and with the hard side-walled track tyres only comes alive on the smoother stuff . im thinking more along the lines of a less focused car , shock and spring set up as opposed to coilovers , etc etc .

as for limiting myself to french hatches , i love em :) , however im open to other suggestions .

Daviewonder

Wouldn't going from a 205 to a 306 be a bit like dumping your girlfriend for her fatter, uglier, boring sister?

• Like 3

jonny6

They're all French rotboxes with their known faults :lol:

helpful as always . :P

jonny6

Wouldn't going from a 205 to a 306 be a bit like dumping your girlfriend for her fatter, uglier, boring sister?

ha ha ha ha ha ha . maybe . thats why im asking .

judley

I had a 306 Rallye a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. The car was stripped and caged but drove well on the road, if a bit noisy. It is a bit underpowered but the ratios help out a little. The Rallye is becoming quite rare now as well. Not had experience with the other two.

Edited by judley

welshpug

my 205 is no country lane car Ant , far too stiff , and with the hard side-walled track tyres only comes alive on the smoother stuff .

what suspension is it? maybe sack them off for something more compliant and get some road tyres on there, win win situation, keep the pug and something suited to the lanes, plus still absolutely capable on the track on the rare occasion it sees one.

Henry Yorke

Why not soften up the 205 to make it more usable? Fast road compared to track spec. It depends how many track days you do a year though.

wilyoldave

Not owned a 172/182 but have had a williams and 2 rallyes(still got one)

Tbh you wont go far wrong with either - both go well and handle well, the clio prob better round the really twisty stuff but the 306 is more stable at higher speeds and a bit roomier - finding a good one will be fun though both getting on a bit now.

jonny6

what suspension is it? maybe sack them off for something more compliant and get some road tyres on there, win win situation, keep the pug and something suited to the lanes, plus still absolutely capable on the track on the rare occasion it sees one.

Gaz coilovers , not sure on the spring rate to be honest , now the cars finished i dont really wanna pull it apart again , id rather see it go to someone who will use it for its intended purpose . I think it would be easier to start with another mildly fettled 205 .

Gman

I've got a 205 gti6, had a 306 gti6 as well as a Clio 182 Trophy.

The clio has slighly better build quality than the 306, but both are miles better than the 205. The clio is quicker in a straight line, and a lot lighter, so you really can chuck it into the corners. Having said that, the 182 Trophy is one of the best fwd cars ever built, so perhaps the lesser 172 and 182 models aren't as good.

The 306's are getting on now, but as said, they are difficult to work on. They are of course more practical, as the clio's are a little on the small side.

If I could choose again, a Trophy everyday of the week. But if your budget doesn't stretch that far 5k-8k, then a 172 Cup (not a 172 with cup packs).

welshpug

no need to rip it apart, just swap the dampers and tyres.

205kenny

The 306's are getting on now, but as said, they are difficult to work on.

I'd say 306 gti's are better to work on than any of the clio's listed.

Still i'd probably chose a clio 172 cup out of the options.

Will Eastman

My mates got a clio williams, and is good fun. Abit like a slightly better built and newer 205 gti. I would say it is not far off the pace of my 205 mi16 but hasnt got the raw fun you get from the pug. Also if you do go williams you should get your self down the gym, the clutches feel agricultural.

MiniGibbo

2k will buy you a very nice ph1 172, just saying ;)

Richie

I'd probably go for the 182 personally.

I found the rallye a little too dull. Very good car, pretty reliable, but never excited me.

camgti

Off the french side. I get the drive an EP3 TypeR Civic ( its a JDM veriosn mind ) and its probably one of the fastest and competent hatches Ive ever driven. Im a 205 fan to the bone but for a daily car to do what it can is beyond me. Best engine and gearbox ever to grace a FWD car. Bad Image over here ( Australia ) of them amongst people but they are quick!

Otherwise 182 Trophee, 306 always felt a bit lardy, still quicker than it feels..

Cam

Henry 1.9GTi

had a 172 for a week as a courtesy car. It had 17 inch wheels and I think was lowered. It understeered everywhere. My back hurt by the end of the week as the steering wasnt adjustable in x

it wasn't too slow but needed to be 6000rpm plus to go anywhere. But they are cheap now and it was a pretty cool car if your looking for something cheap and fast and not really care too much about.

Can't comment on the others :D

BlueBolt

2k will buy you a very nice ph1 172, just saying ;)

Hmmm... Very nice and 172 in the same sentence... :lol:

dcc

The EP3 has been the best addition to this thread. Either that, or a 99/00' impreza. whoooshhh

• Like 1