• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jaggers12

205 Cti Roof Alingment Help

jaggers12

how do you alingn the roof on a cti, when i close my roof i have to pull it over to the passenger side before i can close it but then when its latched it still sits to far over on the drivers side which makes the passenger window leak realy bad. so any help would be realy helpfull.

thanks andy

Henry Yorke

The alignment would possibly be the bolts that hold it in place at the back. The roof locates on two brackets on the windscreen and the handles pull it tight into this. There is some adjustment on these. The roof is meant to overhang the window somewhat, though if you are leaking badly then it might be that the seal on the edge of the roof is missing.

jaggers12

iv tryed adjusting the handles some one had put aload of washers on the thing that it locks onto on the screen , ive removed these now it looks worse

thanks andy

steve@cornwall

How much do the latch hooks move upwards when you close the handles??? Think it was PhilH who put up a thread about re-welding the lugs on the handles to negate the wear, had mine done and was tons better afterwards

Carbs4me

i dont know anything about the CTI roofs but it might be worth removing the whole thing and inspecting all the parts of the machinism and refitting it. im pretty sure you would solve the problem after looking at it in more detail.

someone else could have fitted it completely wrong..... always worth a try before buying a new roof.

Edited by Carbs4me

jaggers12

How much do the latch hooks move upwards when you close the handles??? Think it was PhilH who put up a thread about re-welding the lugs on the handles to negate the wear, had mine done and was tons better afterwards

they dont move to much but i dont think that will help because the locating dowel on the passenger side dosnt line up.

was thinking about removing the roof but need a dry day first.

Henry Yorke

Maybe something has twisted in the frame somewhere which is why it won't line up. easy job to remove the roof, just be prepared to find your rear window metal bar to be rusted to pieces along with the side stiffeners!

Paulmac19

Thinking along the lines of Henry here, mine has developed the same problem,

its not a million miles away from fitting

i think mine has twisted slightly, i have to open the passenger door slightly when closing,

and the locking hooks do require a bit more effort to close and lock than they did last year

Mine has an electric roof just out of interest is yours manual or electric, the electric ones do shake about a bit when closing/ opening

i was going to try and give it a gentle twist over to the drivers side to try and realign it

as Henry said the metal frames do tend to rot, unbolting it could unearth a lot more trouble than you have now

I am going to try the gentle twist approach and leave the stripping down and investigation for another day, but summers here well almost :D

steve@cornwall

Could also be rusting /stiffening of the stiffening cables

Slo

I reckon this will be down to the roof shrinking, i had a manual roof which in good fettle and have swapped it for an electric setup. The skin seemed very stiff on the leccy roof compared to the soft flexible old manual one. The old manual one was really difficult to close requiring some right force, im surprised the handles didnt snap i had to pull em so hard or the windscreen didnt break from trying to slam it home properly. Anyway the leccy roof fits ok but i have to make the pump squeal for its life to get the clamp hooks close enough to be able to latch them. Adjustment is in the rear hinge mounts, you can alter the handle position but this is to correct the seal angle if you get me. The rear hinge mounts also have a diverse affect on the level between the rear window surround and side corners of the hood (just above the boot lid). Ive seen lots of roofs that are set too high and the corners lift higher than the rear window section causing the window section to distort at first then crease and eventually tear off. It could also be down to the tension cables, these are meant to stop the roof edges flapping in the wind but usually rust off the front end so check that they are still attached and if only one is still connected you could try loosening it off at its clamp under the rear corner. This is just from my experience tho, joints can go really stiff too like pliers do when you leave them out in the rain!!

jaggers12

cool thanks for all that guys if the weather is ok this weekend i will try and stip it down a bit an see if i can spot any of those problems

Paulmac19

cool thanks for all that guys if the weather is ok this weekend i will try and stip it down a bit an see if i can spot any of those problems

Keep us updated on your findings please!!

Phil H

I think there is a guide in the Haynes Manual regarding aligning the roof. Think it was in the orange version.

jaggers12

i think ive got one of those mauals some where diddnt get chance to look last weekend gonna take it into work on sat and have a nose

Henry Yorke

I must admit, I have just unbolted roofs before and reattached them and they have been fine. The only real adjustment is on these bolts, though shrinkage does impact them. I notice mine shuts easier in summer on a hot day!

post-3457-0-80164300-1336598256_thumb.jpg

Paulmac19

I must admit, I have just unbolted roofs before and reattached them and they have been fine. The only real adjustment is on these bolts, though shrinkage does impact them. I notice mine shuts easier in summer on a hot day!

post-3457-0-80164300-1336598256_thumb.jpg

Hot days Henry god they are getting rarer than our CTI S :)

Slo

Roof removal part from the orange version of my haynes manual...

1copy.jpg

2copy.jpg

3copy.jpg

4copy.jpg

jaggers12

thanks guys ive had a look and a bit of a mess about ive moved it around on the mountings an its abit better but 1 of the welded on nuts seem to of dissapered along with the bush it secures so gotta try an find 1 of them