• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

arwel

Hi guys, I'm after sone advice. I have a 1.9Gti rally car. It is running a standard engine and was using a standard box until it went bang on the last rally. It is used for Tarmac single venues and road rallies. I have a replacement box to go in with a Quaife LSD but I want to change the CWP. I have the option of a 4.4 or a 4.8. I like the idea of a 4.8 but would be a bit overkill and put extra strain on the engine or would it be perfect? Any ideas?

Cheers

Arwel

welshpug

a lower fd will put less strain on the engine if anything, it doesn't have to work as hard to accelerate, it'll only be put under higher strain if you keep your foot in in 5th :lol:

4.43 will give you roughly 108 flat @ 6200, 4.8 100.

brumster

Go 4.8 on a standard engine. On my old 1.9 8v I'd see about 108 (indicated) flat out on 15" rims, and it gave it a nice turn of pace for a standard lump. If you have any plans to upgrade the engine in future, you might be fine with a 4.4. The other thing is 4.4's are slightly easier to find than 4.8's.

If you've got the option of a 4.8 at a sensible price, go for it, but I wouldn't worry too much about opting for a 4.4 if it's easier to come by.

arwel

No plans to upgrade the engine really. It may get a cam or something at somepoint or if it goes bang another 8v lump will be put it so looks like 4.8 it is then. Can get one for around £300. Good price?

bensonmi

if you know lyn morgan he's selling a 4.8 for £200, he rallys the orange 205 gti6, used to be red till he rolled on x mas stages!

Cameron

1.9 gearbox with 4.8FDR, 195/50/15 and 6.5krpm limit:

1st - 31.3mph

2nd - 49.4mph

3rd - 67.2mph

4th - 85.5mph

5th - 112.8mph

Same but with 4.4FDR:

1st - 34.1mph

2nd - 53.9mph

3rd - 73.3mph

4th - 93.2mph

5th - 123.0mph

Should help you decide.

Edited by Cameron

welshpug

limit is 6200 on a 1.9 :)

Cameron

Really!? Shows how long it's been since I drove one. :lol:

welshpug
:lol: peak is at 6k!

arwel

In all honesty it doesnt get too much of a hard time with me at the moment. With a 4.8 though it may see the limiter a fair bit more. ;)

Chris H

Without any doubt got 4.8 I have swapped my car from a 4.4 to 4.9 and its great. Never really struggled for top speed but you gain everywhere else too.

A 4.4 is a good ratio to have nut th 4,8/9 is even better.

Cant believe how i ever drove the car with a 3.7 in it now!

cybernck

Rev-limit is at 6500 rpm on 1.9 engines (at least Motronic ones).

4.4 diff makes for a very quick 8v :).

matt.f

Got a 4.4 in my modified 1.9 8v(1.6 box)and it goes very well

Toddy

1.9 gearbox with 4.8FDR, 195/50/15 and 6.5krpm limit:

1st - 31.3mph

2nd - 49.4mph

3rd - 67.2mph

4th - 85.5mph

5th - 112.8mph

Same but with 4.4FDR:

1st - 34.1mph

2nd - 53.9mph

3rd - 73.3mph

4th - 93.2mph

5th - 123.0mph

Should help you decide.

Are you sure these are correct?

For example the quoted 4.4 FD 5th Gear mph per 1000rpm is equal to ~ 18.9 (123/6.5) which is standard for a 1.6 box.

hudson

I've a 4.8 pulls like a train with the diff it's made a massive difference Never seen fifth as my h round the lanes and cracking on the uphill bits

Sign in to follow this